Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How many of You are Happy the way you are?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many of You are Happy the way you are?

With all the new Powders, Bullets, MLer's ect...How many of you are Happy using what you now use and are not going to change to anything new.
Sure something New always comes along, but do you feel like your Content in your Current set up, or do you feel you need More and are in need of something better weather it be Powder, bullets, Sabots, Breechplugs, MLer's or whatever. Is there something you just need to Improve on? Or is your current MLer set-up Perfect for you? If it's not out there yet, what would you like to see or have improved on to make you feel like you've reached your goal in the Ultimate Muzzleloading Shooting Machine.
(BP)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am happy with everything with the exception of 777.i really don't like the crud ring, everything else about it i am extremely happy with.i have some BH coming soon and if it's what most people say it is, that will be the only change i make. the triumph i use is accurate,easy to clean,light weight and fits me well. the Barnes and gold dot bullets i use i am very happy with also.although i am going to try heavier weight bullets in both brands.i suspect soon BH will have some competition and the price will come down on it. Ray.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm good...Both flinters love Goex FFF and homemade balls and the Knight loves Goex FFF and Hornady XTPs...No reason to change...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am always looking for something better, but end up going back to pyrodex p loads. seem to work well with almost every gun I have/had.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

my muzzle loaders have been great, powder is excellent, bullets are excellent, primers are great. The only real reason we try new things is just to make things a little more fun and adventure.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

I'm happy with my set up for deer. My Triumph loves Barnes TEZ and Bh209, but because I'm new to muzzleloading I like to experiment with different bullets and loads. There's just so many options.

I'd love to have a traditional style muzzleloader. Probably a bigger bore/round ball shooter.

Competition with BH209 would be great and I see a increased need for lead free projectiles.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have my "go to" hunting load combination for each gun. It's one that I have complete confidence in for that particular gun. Every one uses GOEX as the propellant with round balls, Gold Dots/Deep Curls, or XTPs as the projectiles. I like to do a "trajectory study" for the gun's load and keep the target in my file (see sample below). So when I pick a gun to hunt with all I have to do is check the study to see where the load should hit at various ranges.

But I can't help experimenting with different powders and bullets just for the heck of it. I enjoy playing around with different components, especially stuff I get cheap at end of season sales and such.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only other thing i want is a fast twist 45. Either a 45 smokeless barrel for my Savage or a SuperDISC. Even a White .451 would be nice.

I would like to see BlackMag hit the market this year just for a little competition for BH209. It was actually more expensive per shot but i would have liked to try it.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I'm still wanting one of those new Knights! I don't know if they will be as good or even better than the disc series, but I'm dieing to find out.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by onetohunt
I'm still wanting one of those new Knights! I don't know if they will be as good or even better than the disc series, but I'm dieing to find out.
I cant wait to see them either.

I know one thing, i got a 52cal LRH barrel/action just before they listed the LE run of the LRHs. The barrel was beautiful. Its one of the few bores that was like a mirror out of the box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.