Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning the Bore after BH-209

Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Cleaning the Bore after BH-209

First of I really want you all to know that I am totally biased about this subject, but I am going to mention something that I have found.

I really dislike cleaning the bore after shooting BH - for me it is a much longer process than cleaning after shooting T7.

I have/had been using Hoppe's #9 Bore Solvent in the past, following directions on the bottle - running patch after patch saturating the patch and running it in the bore until they come out some what clean... For me it has taken a bunch of patches and I never really seem to be happy with the color of the patches.

The last three times that i have shot BH - I gave up on the Hoppe's and switched to using Tipton's Bore Solvent. For some reason this solvent seems to work much faster in cleaning the bore. It only takes a 2-3 patches and they are coming out nearly white. Then a couple of dry patches patches followed by 2 Montana X-Treme patches and I am now really happy with to looks of the patches.

I THINK part of the problem with Hoppe's is that it contains 40% Kerosene and 40% Ethyl Alcohol, 5% Ammonium Hydroxide. In effect a big part of the solvent is just Kerosene oil.

Tipton Bore Solvent or Barnes CR-10, neither of these contain Kerosene. They are much less oily than the Hoppe's, and seem to me to a faster job of cleaning. Looking at the contents of each of these solvents - I do not see any form of oil in the product.

All of these solvents contain chemicals harmful to your health so handle them with caution.

Just passing on some observations - not really sure what they mean, but I will continue using something other than Hoppe's.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Takes me 3 bore scrubber patches to clean up BH209.

Butches bore shine i always found worked best when i didnt have UBC in my barrel.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

90 percent alcohol mix 50/50 wiith #9 works for me two wet and two dry.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

mineral spirits or wd40 work good for me,i alternate wet + dry 2-3 times.....karl
Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
First of I really want you all to know that I am totally biased about this subject, but I am going to mention something that I have found.

I really dislike cleaning the bore after shooting BH - for me it is a much longer process than cleaning after shooting T7.

I have/had been using Hoppe's #9 Bore Solvent in the past, following directions on the bottle - running patch after patch saturating the patch and running it in the bore until they come out some what clean... For me it has taken a bunch of patches and I never really seem to be happy with the color of the patches.

The last three times that i have shot BH - I gave up on the Hoppe's and switched to using Tipton's Bore Solvent. For some reason this solvent seems to work much faster in cleaning the bore. It only takes a 2-3 patches and they are coming out nearly white. Then a couple of dry patches patches followed by 2 Montana X-Treme patches and I am now really happy with to looks of the patches.

I THINK part of the problem with Hoppe's is that it contains 40% Kerosene and 40% Ethyl Alcohol, 5% Ammonium Hydroxide. In effect a big part of the solvent is just Kerosene oil.

Tipton Bore Solvent or Barnes CR-10, neither of these contain Kerosene. They are much less oily than the Hoppe's, and seem to me to a faster job of cleaning. Looking at the contents of each of these solvents - I do not see any form of oil in the product.

All of these solvents contain chemicals harmful to your health so handle them with caution.

Just passing on some observations - not really sure what they mean, but I will continue using something other than Hoppe's.
Have you tried montana's BH 209 solvent? i have been wondering how it works myself. Ray
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have to agree, that T7 cleans up easier and I really don't care for the smell of Hoppe's #9.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Spike

Glad it wasnt me - I too have experienced dirty patch after dirty patch before ever seeing progress. Taking way too much and too long. Great advice as always.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

That Montana Xtreme Cowboy solvent always worked real good on BlackHorn 209 for me.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by builder459
Have you tried montana's BH 209 solvent? i have been wondering how it works myself. Ray
I am curious as well if anyone has used it? I actually emailed Monatan yesterday about it - I am sure I will get some biased opinion or statement from them but it was basically asking them what separates this solvent from the others in its effectiveness on BH.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lemoyne
90 percent alcohol mix 50/50 wiith #9 works for me two wet and two dry.
Do you think the extra alcohol helps by reducing the amount of oil in the mix?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.