Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning the Bore after BH-209

Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

This is a good topic. I have been using #9 since using BH209 and I have to admit that I have been getting the same results as Mike. Now I think I will try some of these other cleaners.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went from Hoppes #9 to Montana Extreme (no real difference) to EEzox and stayed with the Eezox. I like the three in one product (Clean, Lube, Protect) and really like the way it ends up with an almost dry finish.

So now I have one product for all my guns, handgun, centerfire and ML. Makes it easy.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

rafsob
I did a great deal of experimenting with what worked and how well when Blackhorn came out. My conclusion was that nothing else worked as good as alcohol but I have experienced flash rust with it alone so I mix #9 with it anything from a 50/50 mix to a 80 /20 mix will allow the alcohol to do the job and the light oil distillate in the #9 will prevent problems with flash rust. If you oil right away its fine to use 90% but I don't put oil in my barrels when I am going to hunt.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

After shooting 9 rounds through the V2 Accura today with BH209. I ran 2 dry patches down the bore to take out the loose fouling, one wet patch with BC bore scrubber swabbed the bore, followed up by another wet patch than i ran down the bore and allowed to sit for a few minutes while i took some pics and cleaned the BP. Came back and ran another wet patch that barely had any fouling on it.

That doesnt sound to tough does it?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

After shooting BH209, rifle in a vise, I remove the BP, stuff a patch in the hole, spray some CVA BarrelBlaster from the muzzle end stuff a patch in. Let it sit a few minutes, drain. 3 patches later spotless. Run a brush through the breech threads, clean the BP, done. Can't finish a beer or cup of coffee in that amount of time.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

OK, i want to change up the original question just a bit. I plan on trying to work up a load this spring and have at least 6 different kinds of bullets and 3 different powders. I plan on using mainly BH 209. I know it shoots fairly clean but i plan on swabbing the bore between shots anyway just to make sure every shot is as consistant as can be.

Most answers so far have been what everyone uses at the end of the day. I'm looking for what would be best to use between shots. So far i'm thinking 90% alcohol, but i was just wondering what would clean the quickest seeing as how BH 209 says you need to use a BH 209 cleaner.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44
OK, i want to change up the original question just a bit. I plan on trying to work up a load this spring and have at least 6 different kinds of bullets and 3 different powders. I plan on using mainly BH 209. I know it shoots fairly clean but i plan on swabbing the bore between shots anyway just to make sure every shot is as consistant as can be.

Most answers so far have been what everyone uses at the end of the day. I'm looking for what would be best to use between shots. So far i'm thinking 90% alcohol, but i was just wondering what would clean the quickest seeing as how BH 209 says you need to use a BH 209 cleaner.
OK with the senario that you have requested.... I am not sure of a great answer.

In my case BH has been most consistent on a bore that has been repeatedly shot. Actually the same with T7 other that I do run a windex patch after each shot, except in the case of hunting when a hurry up second shot might be needed.

In both cases BH or T7, my approach is that I shoot 3-5 shots from the gun just before the season to check POI. With T7 I would then run a cleaning (semi-cleaning) windex patch and then a Montana X-Treme patch - with just barely any X-treme on it - then dry patch load up and go hunting. I never really clean the gun during the season.

With BH my approach would be the same but I would use just barely moist Barnes CR-10 bore cleaner patch, a dry patch, X-treme patch to neutralize the CR-10 annd to provide moisture protection of the bore while hunting - then load up again for the season.

Part of the consistentcy of bh is that the spent residue also provides a surface for the next load to ride on in the bore both on the way down and on the way out. Pretty much the same thing you would accomplish when shooting a centerfire with a smokeless powder.

Probably does not make much sense without actually seeing what and how but it seems to wrk for me.

I really never use alcohol in the bore as it strips all (or most)protection from the bore. And if you are hunting in Idaho it is not not that often dry out. I just do not want to hunt with a stripped bore. And I realize I am in the minority here.

So you may want to look to some one else for a technique...

mike
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me the carbon in the breech plug will be more of a variable, than the soot in the barrel. Keeping the flame channel clean with a hand spun drill will make for uniformity. If you insist on messing with the barrel, perhaps a dry patch would be as good as any. When i shoot BH, i like it when about 5 shots have gone through the barrel, because, after that, it seems like things more or less stabilize.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Seems to me the carbon in the breech plug will be more of a variable, than the soot in the barrel. Keeping the flame channel clean with a hand spun drill will make for uniformity. If you insist on messing with the barrel, perhaps a dry patch would be as good as any. When i shoot BH, i like it when about 5 shots have gone through the barrel, because, after that, it seems like things more or less stabilize.
+1, That's the way its worked out for me.
I have never liked putting water in a gun; and I probably never will. As far as cleaning is concerned a couple of patches with alcohol +#9 work for me where ever I am range or hunting camp no extra bother. I think every body should do what works for them in the long run we will find that the companies that have business will stay and the others will eventually go.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44
I would do 5 shots of BH209 (same load) without swabbing and then compare that with 3 shots of the same load swabbed between each shot. In an email conversation I was having with Randy Wakeman, he insisted that letting the sabot be the "wiper" as you load had a more consistent effect on the bore than swabbing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.