Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning the Bore after BH-209

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Sabotloader do you prefer T7 or BH? Do you use BH for the ease of Cleaning and not having to swab between shots, or is it superior to T7 in accuracy and ignition, or both?
(BP)
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
So Sabotloader do you prefer T7 or BH? Do you use BH for the ease of Cleaning and not having to swab between shots, or is it superior to T7 in accuracy and ignition, or both?
(BP)
I really do prefer T7 to BH and not just because of price.

I use BH for testing only... do not really shoot for recreation or hunting. Ease of cleaning or non-swabbing really is not a motivation for me.

Is it superior??? no I do not think T7 is 'superior' or even that BH might be superior - they are both great I just have a ton of confidence with T7 and it works great for me.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

This year if the crud ring is down to 4-5 shots, im switching most of my shooting back to T7. Im saving the black gold for the higher end loads (experimenting) mostly and hunting.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I really do prefer T7 to BH and not just because of price.

I use BH for testing only... do not really shoot for recreation or hunting. Ease of cleaning or non-swabbing really is not a motivation for me.

Is it superior??? no I do not think T7 is 'superior' or even that BH might be superior - they are both great I just have a ton of confidence with T7 and it works great for me.
Thank's for being Honest.....as you know I use Pyro RS, I feel the same as you do about T7 as I do with the RS. I did however try (for testing pourposes) the T7 and I found it to give more of the Crud Ring then the RS. Now most of you shoot way more than I do, a trip to the range for me consist of mabey 15 shots at most, and that's when Im sighting in a New Scope. Other than that I may just go and shoot say 4-5 shots and Im done so getting a real dirty Mler or a Bad Crud Ring is never the case.
Now you do a-lot of Testing of different Powders and Bullets and that's Great because I dont have to, you do and I'll get the advice from you for if I need to use what you've used and it'll cut my Range time by a-lot.
Sometimes I feel like Im not shooting enough or trying different products enough, but what I use works and Im shooting great groups for what I use so I stay with that. I guess when you feel like you cant improve on accuracy anymore your content.
But keep up the Testing and Good Work as Im sure many are appeciative for what you do! I do have some Testing to do on them new Bullets you sent me and also on them Deep Curls so it'll give me a reason to change My ways and do some shooting. I guess I feel as if I have nothing to add anymore to what I've alread said in my past post. Keep up the Good Work and Thanks for the Hand's on Testing
(BP)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use plain ol' 90% alcohol. A few patches and I'm done. I don't like Hoppes either though.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I just use plain ol' 90% alcohol. A few patches and I'm done. I don't like Hoppes either though.
After 90% Alcohol and a few patches I'd be done too
(BP)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bonner1
I am curious as well if anyone has used it? I actually emailed Monatan yesterday about it - I am sure I will get some biased opinion or statement from them but it was basically asking them what separates this solvent from the others in its effectiveness on BH.
Everyone who uses there other products raves about them. i suspect there bh solvent, may be real good stuff lol.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

I use hoppes, but only in my centerfire rifles. Grew up with the stuff. I have started using the gunslick foaming bore cleaner and then finishing with hoppes. That has seemed to cut my cleaning time. As for muzzleloading I use the tc17 products. Never takes too long. Use the foam and let it soak, clean the breech plug, and then clean the barrel with the tc17 solvent. Patches always come out clean. I like BH better. I think a lot of it is the no swab between shots. I shoot atleast 30 times a session though.

Last edited by 50calty; 01-11-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

Hoppes #9 or Ballistol works fine for me, wiped dry. Nylon brushes IMHO, are plenty for BH209 and sabot fouling and bring less crap into the bore than a used bronze brush.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I always felt that the companies that make the solvent want you to use lots and that increases sales and puts more money in their pockets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.