Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

On Diddlys and Squats

Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default On Diddlys and Squats

I was sitting in one of my box stands early Saturday morning overlooking a small clover & wheat food plot. The .50 GM/LRH Renegade was across my lap, stoked with a 250 grain DeepCurl that I hoped to put into a nice buck. It was a pleasant thirty-eight degrees when dawn broke to a clear blue sky, with just the slightest bit of air movement out of the Northwest.

Unfortunately, none of the bucks in the neighborhood felt in need of a DeepCurl that morning. I spent the next four hours staring at an empty plot.

It had warmed up to the low 50’s when my cell phone rang at about 10:30. The caller was my good buddy Raymond who was hunting his plot a half mile South of me. Raymond is about 30 years my junior, but I don’t hold that against him. He’s pleasant company and a big strapping fellow who’s not adverse to helping me drag a deer – one of his more endearing qualities.

“See anything?” he asked.

Nope, not a thing,” I replied “what did you see?”

“Diddly”

“Diddly, huh?”

“Nope, didn’t see diddly.”

“Didn’t see diddly? Wait a second. I thought you said you saw diddly. Did you see diddly, or did you not see diddly?”

“Same thing.”

“How can seeing diddly and not seeing diddly be the same thing?”

“It is.”

“I’m confused.”

“Not unusual. You often are old man. I’m packing up. See you back at camp.”

So I started putting my binoculars and empty coffee thermos in my little knapsack to head for camp when my phone rang again. It was my brother-in-law Mike calling from his stand just West of me.

“See anything?” he asked.

“Not a thing. What did you see?”

“Squat”

“Squat, huh?

“Didn’t see squat.”

“Oh man! Here we go again.”

“What?”

“Forget it. See you at camp.”

DISCLAIMER: I will accept no challenges that this post is off topic to the Black Powder forum. I clearly stated right up front that I was hunting with the Renegade.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I am in a blind right now with my son. We are seeing or not seeing the same thing here in Ohio. We only have a 4 day muzzleloader season and so far it has not been a good one. He is itching to smack a deer with his Wolf.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

heck semi, i was hunting for a solid week and i saw diddly and squat every day.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is my understanding that you are obliged to post pictures of these diddley and squat, if you are going to initiate a thread about them. I have never seen one, are they similar to a jackalope?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

What if Diddly got an urge and had to Squat? What would you see then Semisane?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

What would you see then Semisane?
Either NADA or ZIP, depending on how the diddly squats.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi How long does y'all gun or ML season last down there? Were down to nothing but bow hunting here. Just got back a little bit ago to saw 5 but couldnt get a shot, cold to windy and 26 degrees.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew a diddly who was great friends with a guy name squat, back in the 70's! possibly the same people lmao? Ray
Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi How long does y'all gun or ML season last down there?
It's pretty long Greg. Season limit is 3 bucks & 3 does / daily limit 1 buck & 1 doe.

Primitive - Nov 13 to Nov 19
Modern - Nov 19 to Jan 23
Primitive - Jan 24 to Jan 30

Bow - 1 Oct to 31 Jan
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is my understanding that you are obliged to post pictures of these diddley and squat
Been trying to get a picture of one or the other for years Ron. I don't believe they show up on film, or in a mirror either. I even put a trail camera on the path to our outhouse where squats are know to congregate. Never got a picture. See lots of sign though.

Last edited by Semisane; 01-09-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.