Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Passed up a Seneca yesterday at the local Swap Meet...

Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Passed up a Seneca yesterday at the local Swap Meet...

My gun club had a swap meet this saturday and I was surprised to see so many folks. It was cold and we had it indoors. The space is very tight, but it didn't bother anyone.

I walked by this table and there was a good looking TC Seneca on the table. It was in ..45 cal. and at first it looked very promising. The bore was looking good and the area around the nipple looked very clean. It looked to have been treated very well.

The guy said he had it for a while, but didn't do much ML shooting any more. He wanted $250, and I knew I could trim him down a bit. However, as I looked more closer at the stock, I noticed that there was a nasty crack in the forend area where the metal plate cover over the barrel wege hole. Actually it had a double crack coming from the screw hole for the plate to the top of the forend. I didn't buy it because of this crack.

Now for the real question of the matter, "Did I make a mistake?" Is this gun worth getting even with these cracks? I am not that familiar with this model. I was very interested in a .45 cal. and was alittle disapointed in not getting it.

What do you think guys?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess what it boils down to is how bad you really wanted it. I think for a Older TC such as the Seneca you'd mabey expect the cracks, Im not really to farmiliar with them and dont know if this was a common problem with the Seneca's.
I think the Seneca was made in the mid 1960's and dicontinued in the late 80's so finding a stock for it might be tough. The price was'nt too bad, depending on condition they can go from $200-$500. If you really want one I'd shop around for one in better condition.
(BP)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it was, as long as it did not show any sign of abuse TC would have replaced the stock with a new one, at least thats my opinion. I would have jumped on it for that price.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Yes it was, as long as it did not show any sign of abuse TC would have replaced the stock with a new one, at least thats my opinion. I would have jumped on it for that price.
Now I am begining to feel like kicking myself. Maybe I can get this guy name and number and get back with him. It did look good with that only exception.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

are you sure tc can still replace the seneca stock?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

I would HIGHLY doubt that TC would replace the stock. They don't even make the scope base for the Hawken/Renegade anymore and the Hawken is still being produced. Took me forever and a day to track one down. Finally found it on ebay. TC even said that they wont make them anymore. I don't know what I person would do down the road if they wanted a scope. So I wouldn't think they have any stocks lying around.