Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally bought a new Muzzey

Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Spike

Default Finally bought a new Muzzey

Finally bought a new muzzey. I ended going a completly different direction than I had planned, but I couldn't pass up a good buy.
I know I was asking for opinions on inlines, but again I couldn't pass this up

I settled on a Traditions Hawken percussion in a left handed model. I'm a left handed shooter (first time I'll actually have a left handed gun). Sportsmans Warehouse had 2 of these guns for $199. Like I said I was leaning tward the inlines, but this thing will get the job done just fine I'm sure.

28" barrel with a 1 in 48 twist, does anyone have a good conical load worked up for this combo? I was going to start with 70g T777, a RWS 1075 cap, with a wool wad, or some folks call it a button patch, and lastly a 370g maxi ball.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a good price for a new Traditions Hawken Paul. Congratulations on the purchase. I have both in-lines and sidelocks. Like them both, but favor the sidelocks a little more.

Your proposed starting load sounds pretty good. Ought to be a real thumper.

That 1:48 twist is pretty flexible and you never know just what it might shoot extremely well. The nice thing is that you will now get to spend all of your spare change playing around with components. Of course you know you're obligated to posts pictures of the gun and report on all range sessions.

I recommend you give Pyrodex a try in addition to the T7, also GOEX if you can get it easily. And you just have to try some patched balls. Also, some 1:48's do quite well with 250 grain XTPs in sabots. Some do well with 300 grain bullets (try some Speer Deep Curls for those elk you'll be going after). Besides that you really need to try some .... .... .... ... . .. ..

Last edited by Semisane; 01-05-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Spike

Semi, I do have some Pyro RS laying around, I works pretty good in my old T/C side lock. And yes that is exactly why I was drawn to the gun, I too love the side locks! It's not a "GREAT" looking gun, but it's not bad. The main thing was, I really don't like taking a gun I have put alot of time into, and beating it around in the brush. Don't get me wrong, It's not like I'm going to use it to drive in tent stakes or anything. I do however have 3 kiddo's two of which love to shoot, and young kid's are tough on gun's.

I'm hoping the weather holds till Friday or Saturday so I can get to the range with it.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I would slug the bore to find out the diameter of the bore then buy the appropriate Bullshop conical (they size the bullets to your specs). If the TC bullets fit your bore incorrectly (too tight or too loose) you'll never get good accuracy out of them. If you are going to shoot T7 I would use the 3F version instead of 2F. Then again real black powder would be better IMO.

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_products.htm
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I own two of them Tradition Hawkin Woodsman rifles. One is a flintlock so I had to have a percussion. Couldn't break up a set you know. Both of them shoot 85 grains of 2f powder and a .490 patched roundball real well. In the cap lock I shoot Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f and in the flintlock I shoot Goex 2f. They are real nice rifles. I think you will like yours.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't pass out my secrets without pictures of said gun...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Spike

I do have some RS, 2F and 3F. I'm going to give them all a try, either tomorrow or Sat. I have quite an array of conical to try shoot out of it. It is amazing how much stuff you find when a guy cleans out all the old shooting boxes, drawers, and cabinets. Man I must have enough rounds to stay busy at the range for two days! I will post some pics with the targets as soon as I'm done.