Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Springy barrel

Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Default Springy barrel

Okay, i THINK i got it solved but its only a temp fix.

So when i took my great plains rifle apart, had the barrel off, i went and tightened up the tang screws. The forward screw was very loose and so i firmly tightened it down.

Well, i replaced the barrel and that sucker was stickin up like a mofro.

I did some experimenting with plastic shims under the front of the tang and bingo, barrel dropped in with just a tiny bit of spring. I think a little spring so the barrel puts pressure on the wedge pins to help them from falling out.

Right now i have it shimmed with a steel washer.

What do you think, leave the washer as the main shim or go back with some epoxy? Or epoxy around the steel shim for some added support-strength. :idunno:
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think I would go ahead and carefully bed the tang in the right position. I use J-B Weld for projects like that.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
I think I would go ahead and carefully bed the tang in the right position. I use J-B Weld for projects like that.

+!If the fit is right and it shoots a good group I would leave the warsher in to get the right exact spacing and bed it.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Banned

well i shot it today with 90gr and 70gr APP and they were both excellent. A big difference from yesterday.

Did a bunch of stock work today but had to call it a day. Fingers are hurtin! Got to find a rasp file for the cheek piece so i can reshape it.

Got her slimmed down nicely!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think I would agree with Lemoyne and leave the washer in and epoxy around it so you get the correct height. Of course, if you apply too much epoxy, you can always file it down until you get an exact fit.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

on the traditional forum one came up with installing a screw, get the exact height i need for it to fit perfectly and then epoxy around that. I really like that idea and may give it a go once i finish the stock work.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

MD - another thought. Have you considered drilling and tapping the tang and installing a self locking set screw to adjust you tang? Then you can set it to give you your optimum accuracy.