Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Snow day with Apex

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default Snow day with Apex

Well its nice and sunny and warm here today. A big step up from the past 2 days.

I wanted to try the unlubed 360gr lee minies in the Apex again with 70gr BH209, W209 primer. Group was a big pooper at 50 yards.
Due to not lubing them, reloading was smooth and easy now! No stickiness or gummy feeling. Perfect! I may retry them here with 80gr pyrodex pellets and see maybe if a different powder will work with them instead.

Switching to 100gr pyrodex pellets, w209 primer and i scrounged up TWO 295gr Aerotip Powerbelts i figured what the heck, worth a try to see how they shoot.
They shot pretty darn good!

With the W209 primer i did have a bit of a soft crud ring to push through when seating the next bullet. Very doable in the field but once i UBC this bore, it should no longer be an issue.

Target with all the shots on it.

Man its been a long time since i shot that stinky stuff! I can taste it in my mouth after only shoot 2 rounds LOL.

Now its time to clean the Apex and get some powder tubes ready with the 50-50 / 50-30 pellets and see how the minies will do.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is some pretty good shooting.

MD, you live in a very beautiful part of the USA. I like that part of CO with its diverse wildlife and fine fishing. That two toned gray squirrel with the tufted ears is a really neat creature: Abert's squirrel they call it.

Last edited by falcon; 12-18-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice shooting. That Apex is a nice looking rifle.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by falcon
That is some pretty good shooting.

MD, you live in a very beautiful part of the USA. I like that part of CO with its diverse wildlife and fine fishing. That two toned gray squirrel with the tufted ears is a really neat creature: Abert's squirrel they call it.
Out here in the foot hills we have the cool black squirls with the big bushy tails and the perky ears. I actually dont see to many squirls for some reason.

I did try both 80gr and 100gr Pyrodex Pellet charges.

80gr pellets shot the same group & 100gr slightly shrunk down a bit. Guess the bullets just arent made for it. But still great to go out and shoot!

Tried the came loads in the Accura V2 and basically the same groups as the Apex.

Dont want to shoot up my pellets with these bullets so i may just try 80gr 3f APP tomorrow.