Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A lot of talk about bullets

Old 12-18-2010, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default A lot of talk about bullets

Seems to me lately there has been a lot of talk about bullets on this forum lately that has led to a good deal of information being passed around mostly by knowledgeable people with experience.
This got me thinking last night in bed (cause at my age I don't have anything better to do) and the evolution of the bullet.
From my old tired memory the first real ML bullet was the lead ball. Pure soft lead with lousy ballistics by today's standards. But it worked OK. Then,with the invention of the cartridge came the cast lead bullet. Then came the smokeless powder and these bullets were driven at higher velocities which caused lead fouling to build up in the bore. Someone then got the idea to alloy the lead using tin which made them harder reducing the leading.
The came the copper cup which improved still the leading problem. This was followed by some genius with the jacket bullet which served the purpose even today. There have been design changes such as partitions, bonding etc which made this design even better. And lastly today we have the all copper or copper alloy and other alloy bullet being used with great success.
Today we have so many choices that it would take years of scientific study to find the perfect bullet for every game animal. And I guess that is why we have these forums so we can all relate our results. Keep the info coming so we all can learn.
And oh yeah, Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly, We are the Field Testers and all we can do is pass on to one another what our findings and results are. Eventually we can narrow it down to a few and go from there.
May You and Your Family have a Very Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year!
(BP)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kinda makes me wonder how I managed to kill deer with a .440 round ball and 75grs of Goex back in the 70s and 80s...
Old 12-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Banned

nc, but that was back in the 70s- 80s. Todays deer are a new breed that are tough.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Here is my description of THEE bullet.

Wish i could say it was all mine but most of it is Plagiarized, but it really says the right things... I have added points that have worked and are important to me as a hunter.

The Hunting bullet should be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. The bullet design should allow the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3” before it starts to expand the bullet or petals. After the bullet starts to expand or shed it petals it should adversely affect all the surrounding internal organs. The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock should produce a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long. In addition I believe that a bullet traveling all the way through (pass-through) adds to the over-all trama of the animal, aiding the onset of shock. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow. Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill. Using a bullet matching this description will normally result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-18-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader: quote "The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock should produce a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long."
That's what I've tried to say all along. I guess I just ain't the wordsmith this gentleman is, whoever he is. That paragraph says nothing about a complete pass through. Although nice for a good blood trail, it isn't necessary if the bullet is placed in the right spot.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

You are right because I forgot to add that, but again there are two schools of thought on that subject. And I should add both have their validity. I personally believe the pass-through does add to the trama and stress created in the animal - which helps add to the causes of shock.

I guess now that you have mentioned it i will go back and put it in as what i took and what i want are both there.

Thanks...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-18-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Sabotloader: quote "The combination between the expansion of the bullet and/or release of the petals and the creation of hydrostatic shock should produce a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that can be 13” to 15” long."
That's what I've tried to say all along. I guess I just ain't the wordsmith this gentleman is, whoever he is. That paragraph says nothing about a complete pass through. Although nice for a good blood trail, it isn't necessary if the bullet is placed in the right spot.
And today I placed one in the right spot. I have a Knight Woverine and it's a great shooter. We have about 6 inches of snow on the ground here in WV and I loaded the Knight up with 85 grains of Triple 7 FFG and a saboted 240gr .452 Speer JHP. Looking down from a high ridge line, I spotted a big doe bedded and decided to take the shot. I estimated it to be about 90 yards and so I placed the crosshair high center shoulder. I squeezed off the shot and she didn't get up out of her bed and expired within seconds. When I skinned her out this evening, the shot hit exactly where I aimed and exited center shoulder on the opposite side. I was very pleased. I call these bullets my "cheap shots" because I only have 10 cents apiece in them.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default doe

Critter,

Nice shot there!
I've never had the opportunity to shoot a bedded deer.
Also, not familiar with the 240 gr,.452 Speer bullet. What No. is it?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forums such as this one has saved me countless hours of trial and error just by giving me ideas on different loads/bullets/sabot combo's etc, that had already been tried by other shooters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.