Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

unknown sabot

Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default unknown sabot

I purchased some sabots from Traditions Rifle Co. They are a .430 diameter sabot. As we all are aware, Traditions must have contracted some company to make them. The thing is, they are black in color. They are not a crushed rib or EZ load type, also they are shallow sabots. Looking at them, my first guess is Harvester. They look identical to the short black sabot but in .44 caliber. I see no manufacturer mark.

If anyone might have an idea of the actual maker of this sabot, I would like to know. I kind of like the way they load and shoot. I was shooting them today.

They have a Skew # A1500 which I know is tradition's number. On the back of the packaging, they also have 08-04/JB2. They are for a .44 caliber bullet and high pressure, made for magnum loads.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I purchased some sabots from Traditions Rifle Co. They are a .430 diameter sabot. As we all are aware, Traditions must have contracted some company to make them. The thing is, they are black in color. They are not a crushed rib or EZ load type, also they are shallow sabots. Looking at them, my first guess is Harvester. They look identical to the short black sabot but in .44 caliber. I see no manufacturer mark.
I have some of those sabots. They fit very tight in my CVA guns but they give the best accuracy of any sabot that i've used. Not sure who makes them: We have both Harvester .430 sabots and the base is not like either of those.

These may be the ones i have:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...05091323c68235

Last edited by falcon; 12-18-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Falcon-
those are indeed the ones I am talking about. I was wondering if I could find them somewhere else for a better price. I usually end up ordering about three hundred at a time so I do not run out. They really are a good sabot. Especially in my Green Mountain Barrels and in my Knights. I noticed that I am down to about 50 left and I hate to run out of anything. I guess I will just have to break down and purchase them from Traditions. I was wondering if they might be MMP sabots. And they can sure take a powerful load and still not slip the barrel.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

They almost look like the same sabots that come with the T/C Shockwave bullets which I throw away and use the Harvester CRs. Check Cabela's online, In the bargain cave they have what looks like the same sabot on sale for $6.88/50 from MMP. A few cents more than what you are paying now but if you purchase >$99 you get free shipping. I know you can do that easy Dave.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-18-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

And they can sure take a powerful load and still not slip the barrel.
Those are the sabots i used with 150 grain charges of Pyrodex RS.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look in the base if they have a step on the side they are MMP if not probably Harvester.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

The ones i use do not have the stepped base of the MMP nor do they have the slanted cup base of the current Harvesters. They have a rounded cup base.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I have those same sabots. They were indeed Harvesters. At one time Harvester even made TC's Red sabot for their Mag express sabot. I think the real key is Harvester's have a small plastic tit in the center of the cup. MMP smooth cups are exactly that smooth from rim to rim. MMP 44/50 on the left and Harvester 44/50 on the right. These are the current sabots.

They are very comparable to the size of the current regular Harvester or HPH-24

Think I might have a picture... gotta go look. But, they will be the older polymere. Well I found the picture... it is about as old as the sabots so you really do not get to see much... Worst part I still have some of most of these...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-18-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

what ever they are, they sure work good. thanks all.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
what ever they are, they sure work good. thanks all.
Have you ever tried the "Yellow" high pressure crushed rib sabot made for boat-tailed bullets by Harvester. I use them with the Barnes 250 gr TMZ bullet "throw the Barnes sabot in the trash" and they shoot the best I have ever tested in my 50 cal Prohunter. I can get under a 2" group at 200 yards with my load consistently and I have tried more sabots than I care to admit. I believe they make the same sabot for the flat-base bullets as well. They are like $8.95 for a 50 pack through Harvester.

Besides the accuracy improvement the also drop off from the bullet about 9 yards from the barrel and form a buttercup shape almost like a parachute and never a broken or bent pedal. Every sabot looks the very same as the last. My load consist of 110 grains of Blackhorn 209, Winchester 209 "shotshell" primer with the Barnes bullet. Very, very accurate out of my rifle.

Just thought I'd share that with you all. Give them a try if you haven't yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.