Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Starter Kits

Old 07-20-2003, 06:47 PM

Default Black Powder Starter Kits

I am a modern rifle hunter looking to start hunting with a black powder rifle. I am not sure where to start so I am posting this hoping for some help. I have been shopping around and have found a couple of starter packages put out by different manufacturers that cost around $200, these include rifle, scope, powder, bullets, videp, etc. Tell me what you know these packages and if they are right for the price. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Starter Kits

hickman,

Most all of the available kits out there in that $200 price range will get you into the sport OK. Some, I' m sure, are better than others - but everyone will give you a different opinion on which one is best.

Personally, I' d suggest you get a Knight Wolverine or Knight USAK American Knight kit. I started with the USAK kit & never looked back. In fact - I' ll put it up against ANY (non-customized) gun on the market out to 100yds. When I see an Omega, Apex, or any other " top line" gun outshoot my penny-sized, 3-shot group out of my hand.........THEN I' ll consider switching to a " better" model.

Good Luck in your decision.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Starter Kits

Hickman

If you have a Gander Mountain store there in Southern Oklahoma, check out their Knight rifle packages. Sometimes they run sales on them for around $179. Those Knight kits at Gander may not have a scope with it, but most scopes in starter kits are junk.

Also, click on
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=category&rid=

Cabelas has plenty of rifles/starter kits to choose from. I would suggest a better scope at a later date