Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Round ball in a modern in-line?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Spike

Default Round ball in a modern in-line?

I just bought a new Accura. I am new to BP and have only shot powerbelts and sabots. I am aware of the varied opinions about Powerbelts.

Can I shoot round ball with a patch in this Accura? What size round ball?

Oh yeah, and what is a conical? Just an elliptical not so "round" ball?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by temphank
I just bought a new Accura. I am new to BP and have only shot powerbelts and sabots. I am aware of the varied opinions about Powerbelts.

Can I shoot round ball with a patch in this Accura? What size round ball?

Oh yeah, and what is a conical? Just an elliptical not so "round" ball?
yes you can but do not load a lot of powder under them. If you do, they can skip the rifling and the accuracy will suffer. Use a .490 roundball and a .015 patch with a good lube.

A conical is a full bore sized projectile. Where no patch or sabot is used. A powerbelt is a conical. A maxiball is a conical. A great plains is a conical. You do not patch a conical bullet. Just apply lube to the out side of the ones that need a lube.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Spike

I thought the Powerbelt used the plastic base as a "slipper" and the bullet didn't make contact with the bore rifling. Is that wrong? Do the other conicals then sort of mash a little ( very little ) into the rifling to get a good seal?
Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by temphank
I thought the Powerbelt used the plastic base as a "slipper" and the bullet didn't make contact with the bore rifling. Is that wrong? Do the other conicals then sort of mash a little ( very little ) into the rifling to get a good seal?
The plastic Base on the Powerbelt is to form a Gas Seal between the Bullet and Powder. The Powerbelt is a Full sized 50cal Bullet, it does make contac with the Rifling. A bullet of full size that uses No Sabot has to make contac with the rifling, if it did'nt it would have nothing to guide the path of the Bullet and it would be all over the place on the Target, same as with the Conicals. With Saboted Bullets the Sabot is what makes contac with the Rifling and guides the path of the Bullet.
Why do you want to shoot Round Balls out of your ACCURA? do you have to use them where you live to Hunt with? The ACCURA has a Twist in the Barrel of 1in 28" and that's not a good choice of Twist for shooting Round Balls, a slower Twist Rate would be much better. I'd also aviod Powerbelts. If you can use a Saboted Bullet for your Hunting where you live then I'd look into one of them.
Good Luck!
(BP)