Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet blood trails.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Breechplug

Now, that was well written, by a man that loves to hunt, loves the spirit of the hunt, and the spirit of the critter.
I Agree!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one bullet have zero fear of failure to leave a blood trail on deer or elk is the 460g Bullshops. Every animal I've shot with them has left a flowing blood trail. (even when the shot was marginal) That being said, they never have went far.

A close second for me would be the .452 300g XTP MAG. I switched to the MAG bullet about 5 years ago and have had excellent results. On many occasions I've had two distinct trails with them.

My load for both of those bullets is 80g 777 or BH.

I always hunt in the woods and rarely have a shot that presents itself farther than 75 yards (most common about 30 yards) so big bullets works best for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I must say the results so far are interesting. Out of curiosity, which muzzleloader bullet gave you the worst blood trail?

Mine for the worst was a small spiked buck I shot with a .50 caliber roundball. I placed that ball perfect I thought, and still swear to. I hit him right behind the front shoulder. And the ball hit all the right organs. And I did get a pass through. But that deer never lost a drop of blood for over 50 yards through the open hardwoods, where I watched him drop.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that shot placement is the most important variable.
That said the difference in the way you hunt also enters into it. I hunt out of a tree stand 16 to 20 ft high and the most noticeable thing for a blood trail is an exit hole.
My best results have been with a 54 caliber PRB a 35 inch barrel and 110 gr Pyrodex I get the same result with a 250 gr Gold Dot a sabot and 110gr of Blackhorn.
The only bullet I consistently had total lack of a blood trail was with power belts when I first started trying to use them I had to get my friends dog to trial down the deer a couple of times. After a while I got smarter and plugged the hollow point up and the worked much better, from time to time the 250gr XTP came apart to soon and did not exit and I had to go to a heavier bullet.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

The best bullet I've used, as far as blood trails are concerned, are Batchiefs 496gr .504 Trashcan conicals. The closest shot was 20 yards and the farthest was 50. Both deer were hit in the lungs and heart one went 10 yards the other went 40. Both had blood trails that a blind man could follow. I used 70grs of Swiss 3f on both deer.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nimrodder
The best bullet I've used, as far as blood trails are concerned, are Batchiefs 496gr .504 Trashcan conicals. The closest shot was 20 yards and the farthest was 50. Both deer were hit in the lungs and heart one went 10 yards the other went 40. Both had blood trails that a blind man could follow. I used 70grs of Swiss 3f on both deer.
I agree. I think the reasons these conicals are not more popular is that the average shooter wants to be able to walk into his local sporting goods store and but his bullets off the shelf.
And the average shooter is not aware of the positive aspects of shooting conicals. (No massive advertising campaigns are pushing them.)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look in the picture section of no- excuse bullets site! i have talked with the owner and the .45 cal rifles shooting a 460 gr slip fit conicals are consistently the most accurate. the .50's are also accurate.some of those guys are shooting them 150-225yds and have no problems recovering animals, including elk which is one tough animal. most powder loads average 85 grs... simply amazing !
Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

I use the Bull Shop .503/460 grain lead conical - it is one awesome bullet... We have to use open sights here during ML season - i have no problem shooting that bullet close to 150 - when the conditions are correct.

One of the differences between Dan's Bull Shops and Dave's No Excuse is that Dan can and will size them to your bore and as we all know not all bores are created equal...
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Boy BP you sure know how to put them words to good use. You da man!!!

I can only go by entry and exit wounds. This entry wound was made by a Barnes Expander bullet:

This was the exit wound:

Now this deer left a great blood trail. I have also had these kinds of wounds and not had such a great blood trail. That time my shot was a little higher then this one.

For me the Barnes Expander bullet is a devistating bullet and performs as advertised.

My second bullet of choice would be the 300 gr. XTP sabot.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
builder459

I use the Bull Shop .503/460 grain lead conical - it is one awesome bullet... We have to use open sights here during ML season - i have no problem shooting that bullet close to 150 - when the conditions are correct.

One of the differences between Dan's Bull Shops and Dave's No Excuse is that Dan can and will size them to your bore and as we all know not all bores are created equal...
Yes i looked at the bullshops. i bought the Ne's just to see how they would shoot out of my triumph after all the hype read about T/C rifles not shooting conicals, mine shoots them well. i will say i bought the rifle to shoot saboted bullets not conicals.my old .54 T/C i used T/C conicals and shot quite a few deer and never had a problem finding blood trails or the deer lol.