Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Traveling Breech Plug

Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Traveling Breech Plug

I feel obliged to post that the plug was returned by frontier gander/MountainDevil54 a few days ago. It looks just like these pictures he posted earlier.

The threads are just as ugly as the pictures show, however the plug threads with no issue what so ever, into my rifle. If one looks closely at the pictures, one can detect a more silvery appearance at the ends of the threads. This exists, because i had did my best to remove roughness with a wire brush. After working these edges with a file and a wire brush, it was tested in my rifle, and when it threaded smoothly, it was mailed.

Frontier gander/MountainDevil54 wrote of 2 issues with this plug, one was the threads not working in his rifle, and the other was the depth of the primer pocket. He wrote that the primer pocket was made too deep. He wrote he was having issues with blow back, and this was because the pocket is/was too deep. This, of course, is false, but i believe it is my fault he thought so. You see, i never informed him that this plug is 0.011" longer than an OEM plug. Without a caliper, he couldn't have known this, and thus, when he experienced blow by issues, he thought it was because the primer pocket was too deep.

We never communicated, so i don't really know what happened in Colorado, but i am guessing he tried to use W209 primer, and they were too long. Had i known he was having issues, i would have recommended he try CCI, or STS primers. One of these may have worked perfectly in his rifle with a slight crush, and resulted in a tight seal, with zero blow by.

In hindsight, it seems to me, i may have tried to accomplish too much with this plug. The plug sent, was designed to be 100% reliable with BH209, and it was also designed to reduce blow by. Had i communicated this, i feel he would be happy with this plug. Perhaps not. At any rate, before i received this plug back, i sent him another, that has a near identical head space as an OEM plug. Using this replacement plug, should be just like using the OEM plug, except, there will be better ignition whilst using BH209. Believe me, i also filed, and polished the threads, so they would be much prettier, than the pictured threads of the first plug sent him.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I might have to see if you can make one for a T/C Black Diamond rifle. That breech plug with the nipple that screws into the plug is sure a PITA.

That work to me looks first rate. But then I know nothing about working with metal. I guess I will wait and see how FG likes the new plug.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Smile

ronlaughlin-it,s just one of those(no good deeds go unpunished)moments......karl
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ronlaughlin

Those threads look horrible all around that plug. I notice flat spots in the middle of the threads. Is that from the cheap soft metal, or being dropped or something?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

i used the W209 primers and didnt get the crush fit. It had enough slack between the BP/frame that the sides of the primers were sooted up pretty good, basically pitch black on the sides and would often get stuck. I only fired it 12 times and knew something just wasnt right. Thats why i mailed it back to you for your inspection.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
ronlaughlin

Those threads look horrible all around that plug. I notice flat spots in the middle of the threads. Is that from the cheap soft metal, or being dropped or something?
The plugs are made from grade 8 bolts. They are not soft. The flat spots, i believe, is how the bolt was made. The dings and such, i believe, are from the bolts bouncing against each other in the box, whilst the box is bouncing around in the UPS truck. No doubt some of the marks on the threads are made by the collet holding the bolt whilst it is being drilled, and milled.

Every plug mailed, is tested, and worked, until it threads smmooothly in either my rifle, or in a nut.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Spike

WoW Look dont take this wrong,But I would not even Screw that into my gun.Them threads look all jacked up imagine what that does to the threads inside your ML barrel ?

Last edited by SmokeSeeker; 12-08-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i used the W209 primers and didnt get the crush fit. It had enough slack between the BP/frame that the sides of the primers were sooted up pretty good, basically pitch black on the sides and would often get stuck. I only fired it 12 times and knew something just wasnt right. Thats why i mailed it back to you for your inspection.
Had i known you were having issues, i would have suggested you try one of them CCI you wrote about using. They are just enough shorter, you may have seen wonderful results.

Too bad we didn't communicate. Too late now.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as they thread smoothly into your barrel they aren't going to hurt a thing. All they need to do is hold the breech plug snug so the end forms a seal. Those magnified images can make things look a lot worse.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

My Brother is a machinist i can get dirt bike parts made or any metal part i need for free.Also any type metal i need,But he works at a big company that has millions of dollars in equipment.I can get a breechplug made for you just send me your old one and tell me ? mods you want done to it. Stainless steel or anything!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.