Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Traveling Breech Plug

Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

Would running that plug through a 'thread chaser' clean up the looks of it any. I know when I was back-yard mechanic'ning.. the thread chaser was a valuable tool.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flounder33
As long as they thread smoothly into your barrel they aren't going to hurt a thing. All they need to do is hold the breech plug snug so the end forms a seal. Those magnified images can make things look a lot worse.
Thats the deal, due to the threads being rounded up front, the plug required my socket to get it through some areas and then it would loosen up. Thats why i sent it back for his inspection.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
ronlaughlin

Would running that plug through a 'thread chaser' clean up the looks of it any. I know when I was back-yard mechanic'ning.. the thread chaser was a valuable tool.
When i received the plug the other day, the first thing i did was thread it into a nut, and it threaded about as smooth as a bolt could. The appearance is a way worse than reality, and i was quite shocked to feel how smmoooth it threaded. Then i 'chased' the threads with my made in USA chase, and it did do some fixing, but not as much as the picture indicated it would. It is better now than it was then, but i don't think one could see it in a picture.

Every plug mailed henceforth will be chased with the MURRAY CHASE, which isn't very inexpensive, but perhaps it will save me from similar grief in the future.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

i can guarantee you, when i wrapped that plug with a single player of white teflon tape, it catches and snugs up. I just inspected the threads in my accura to make sure there was no damage and luckily there wasnt. i used a QRBP and it went in as smooth as butter.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Do I need a different breech plug to shoot BH209 in my Genesis?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

I wondered if the thread chaser might help... just like any other tool that is made it is possible that the tool that cut FG's threads in his barrel was getting on the worn side and his threads may be a bit tight and shallow as compared to the one cut on the bolt.

With all the fitting I have donew with BP and breeches trying to get the right tickness of teflon tape - I can assure that that not all breech plugs, even being the same brand, are cut equally nor are the treads in the breech... just my personal experiance.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
ronlaughlin

I wondered if the thread chaser might help... just like any other tool that is made it is possible that the tool that cut FG's threads in his barrel was getting on the worn side and his threads may be a bit tight and shallow as compared to the one cut on the bolt.

With all the fitting I have donew with BP and breeches trying to get the right tickness of teflon tape - I can assure that that not all breech plugs, even being the same brand, are cut equally nor are the treads in the breech... just my personal experiance.
Exactly when the tool is new it cuts deeper threads as it gets used its more shallower.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The plugs are made from grade 8 bolts. They are not soft. The flat spots, i believe, is how the bolt was made. The dings and such, i believe, are from the bolts bouncing against each other in the box, whilst the box is bouncing around in the UPS truck. No doubt some of the marks on the threads are made by the collet holding the bolt whilst it is being drilled, and milled.

Every plug mailed, is tested, and worked, until it threads smmooothly in either my rifle, or in a nut.
So that is a complete new plug you made? It's not a modified version right? I thought you were modifying the plugs, not making new one's. The reason i said cheap metal, was because the CVA plugs are.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Ron,

I Think you are doing great work and would not hesitate to use any of those plugs. As you know, I make my Smokeless plugs from Grade 8 bolts. Your work seems to be impeccable to my eyes.

Ken
Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ken!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.