Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Round Balls - XTP's - Deep Curls

Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I basically made the hard switch from powerbelts "Although i do shoot a ton of the range still!" to Thors. Less drop, equal accuracy to powerbelts, maybe a touch tighter in certain rifles of mine, outstanding performance on game. Hell any bullet that goes through 1/4" of metal without deforming is going to be an amazing bullet on heavy bone.
MD there is no doubt in my mind as to what the thor/remade barnes bullet is capable of.i hunt with the TEZ, extremely accurate and wicked controlled expansion.as i have said if i lived where shorter range shots were the norm. deep curls would be the only bullet i would shoot.i practice with the deep curls.but for a lead bullet "price VS cost", the deep curls/ gold dots in my mind are at the top of the list.i have been watching sabotloaders testing of the lehigh bullets closely as i am very interested in there overall performance, which appears to be outstanding!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

Thank you posting these pictures. I have followed along with your media tests and thought you had tested the Gold Dot/Deep Curl.

These really show what I am trying to say with the electroplating process that bounds the lead to the coper.

They make these bullets just down the hill from here in Lewiston, Idaho. In the old days I use to go to the Speer plant (ATK/CCI) down there a lot to watch the process an to observe some of their static testing. Plus at that time you could buy 'seconds' from them that were really good for target practice and plinking.

But even in those early days - i always felt that Seirra made the better bullet - but the Speer plant sure was handy.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Spike

Yea that test proves that the GoldDot/DeepCurl is WAY better bullet people needs to know this stuff please keep posting more about this.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excuse my typo in last post.. it's price VS performance lol not price VS cost!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

LOL never even noticed that. We all have our blond moments
Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

bullets

did someone say bullets

my wife calls this my little house of killin
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

kb1,

That's awsome! I just showed it to my wife and her response "Why?" ML shooters are a different breed...
Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader, what is the BC on the .250 and the 300 deepcurl if you know... thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SmokeSeeker
Yea that test proves that the GoldDot/DeepCurl is WAY better bullet people needs to know this stuff please keep posting more about this.
I know you are on an anti-XTP kick now, but the fact is, if you would have made that same shot (high, through the ribs) with the Deep Curl you still wouldn't have had any/much blood.

This is what people have been trying to tell you if you'd open your mind a bit.

The Deep Curl is a good bullet no doubt. But in my experience with the deer I've shot with them, the performace was exactly the same as w/XTPs.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

I know you are on an anti-XTP kick now, but the fact is, if you would have made that same shot (high, through the ribs) with the Deep Curl you still wouldn't have had any/much blood.
I am not defending anybody or anything but fact is I am not sure of that. I know I have made that shot with a 260 grain Nolser and Last week with a 200 grain Lehigh and believe me there was not lack of blood in either case.

This shot was high, breaking 4 ribs - but there was no absence of blood. it was all over the place.

This shot was high in the chest and out behind the right leg - with a Nosler... No lack of blood here either. This deer made it about 20 ft.

I do think the bullet can made a difference...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-08-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.