Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Things You See When Ya Ain't Gotta Gun.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Things You See When Ya Ain't Gotta Gun.

Faelan, my Big Black German Shepherd and I were taking a walk back in the hollow behind my barn around 1PM today. He likes to carry his ball with him, which I'll occasional throw for him.

We had been making plenty of noise with his chasing the ball through the leaves. Suddenly he decided he needed to take a dump. I just stood around while he went through the ritual of finding the perfect place. Never understood that.

Anyway he was just finishing his business, when I heard the crashing of leaves. I look toward the direction of the sound and saw a nice buck chasing a doe on top of the ridge. Faelan alerted, but stayed in place, as he has been trained.

The doe made a sharp turn off the ridge and headed down the ridge toward us. The buck had sex on the brain, so needless to say he followed.

There I stood in my sweat pants and white T-shirt and a Big Black Dog with a RED ball in his mouth as a 10pt—130 plus rack raced after the doe 20 yards in front of us.

So, from now on the Omega will be part of the dog walk.

Last edited by thom2; 11-23-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Isn't it the way!

Just last night (Monday), I'm piling wood behind my house. Hoping to bet the rain, which hit about 5:00 pm. Okay time to head in, glance around the fields... sure enough a nice 8 point that I have several pictures of, but haven't seen for sometime, is cruising the alfalfa not 150 yards from me. He crosses the creek and heads towards my barn. I walk up to the corner of the barn, he passes me at 50 yards. Gives me glance as he's passes. Puts his nose to the ground and continues on his merry way, along the creek edge...

...rifle season ended here Sunday night!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got to Love them 1pm walks, actually my best times to Hunt are from 11am untill 1pm, that's when I always seem to see the Best deer movement, especially Bucks. Too many Hunters leave this time of the day for Lunch, naps or chores. Try it and you'll be amazed at what your missing.
(BP)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

At about 2pm last weekend I did have my gun and witnessed a big 6 point buck breeding a doe at about 120 yards. It was awesome and I just let em be. The best is on the drive home and they usually come by to say bye.