Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wife missed her first shot at a deer *** UPDATE ***

Old 11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wife missed her first shot at a deer *** UPDATE ***

I don't know if you have seen any of my thread near the end of summer this year, but I posted several times where I was setting up my newly scoped Knight and my completely new TC Encore. The Knight is mine and I got the Encore in the spring for my wife. The idea is I will get her a .243 barrel if she sticks with hunting.

Anyway, the guns are all set up and I have been anxious to get a deer in the crosshairs. I have hunted for 6 weeks now, 4 with a bow and 2 with a BP gun and haven't had the first shot. I drew the bow on a doe but didn't get a shot and saw several others with a bow but no shot on them either. Since BP season started 2 weeks ago we have not seen the first deer. Until tonight.

We are hunting a blind in a field pointed toward the woodline. I shot two deer out of it last year. Anyway, my wife is up to bat and I am there to coach her. We hear something in the woods but couldn't see anything. Then it moves up the hill toward our left and got fainter. I had about given up on it being anything when I noticed a 4 or 6 pt buck had come about 5 yards out of the woods and was about 80 to 85 yards away.

I said deer and pointed it out to my wife. I grabbed the shooting sticks and handed them to her. She got on them and I told her to go ahead and pull the hammer back. She was getting ready and I asked if she was ready. She said yes and I grunted to get the deers attention. It worked and the deer stopped. She didn't shoot. It started again, so I grunted a couple more times. The deer got skittish as I think I grunted too much since he didn't seem to pay attention to my follow up grunts. I urged my wife to hurry and she finally did shoot.

The smoke cleared and she had about fallen off her 5 gal bucket. We have the padded, swivel seats but she brought a cushion to put on top of that. I think the extra pillow is why she lost her balance. After the commotion settled down, we saw the deer looking our way, probably at the smoke. He started up the field then back to the woods. Then reversed direction and started back into the field again. He couldn't make up his mind what had just happened or what to do about it. I grabbed my Knight up but was too late, he finally turned and headed back into the woods.

From his reaction, I was sure she had missed. She was pretty sure too. After reflecting on what happened, she said she rushed the shot because I rushed her and while she saw the deer in the scope she couldn't really say if the crosshairs were on him. In my defense, I only rushed her because the deer was moving on.

In hindsight, I had thought about telling her I would take the shots at bucks and she could have the does but I was afraid she would think I was being selfish. The new rule is I shoot at deer that won't stand still or that are much over 50 yards away. She will take the closer in deer if they aren't in a hurry. Around here, bucks are usually in a hurry like they have someplace to be and are late. Does are usually browsing around like they have nowhere to go and all day to get there.

I should have had my rifle more ready and will be backing her up with my 30-06 for the rest of gun season. I quite likely would have gotten the deer had I been ready for a miss.

Oh well, it was exciting and we are back on speaking turns again.

Last edited by ADVWannabee; 11-16-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL a great story and one that neither of you will soon forget!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you check for blood? As I found out this past Friday, their reaction doesn't always reflect what actually happened.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

that is a shame she missed but it is still a good memory. Next time she will connect.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great story Wannabee. I can just picture her going off that bucket.

Please tell her not to feel too bad, and she was correct in blaming you. One thing for sure, it's better to see a deer react as you describe rather than see it disappear over the hill running on three legs.

I've found the best way to deal with coaching a youngster or new hunter in a situation like that is to say something like "take the shot when you feel good about it", and then shut up. If they pass the shot it was probably the right thing for them at the time.

We all had to learn how to get on target quickly and make the decision to pull the trigger. And we've all had our own "I should have shot" and "I shouldn't have shot" experiences. It's part of the game.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Did you check for blood? As I found out this past Friday, their reaction doesn't always reflect what actually happened.
Yes, we got out of the blind and checked the field and the woods where the deer went back in. There is a nice hole in the woods where he deer go in and out. I went into the woods a little ways to check as well. We found no blood or hair so we didn't pursue any further.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I've found the best way to deal with coaching a youngster or new hunter in a situation like that is to say something like "take the shot when you feel good about it", and then shut up. If they pass the shot it was probably the right thing for them at the time.
Yes, next time I will will just tell her to take the shot when ready. Had it been a doe, it probably would have browsed around and given her time.

Originally Posted by Semisane
We all had to learn how to get on target quickly and make the decision to pull the trigger. And we've all had our own "I should have shot" and "I shouldn't have shot" experiences. It's part of the game.
I knew going in that she would be slow on the trigger. She is a good shot at the range because she takes her time. But deer don't always give you that time. I am more of an instinctive shooter and can get on a deer and shoot quickly. But I have much more practice as well.

Fortunately we have until January 1 to get another shot or two so hopefully we can get another deer in front of her this year.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Well this story has a happy ending. At least for me anyway. I shot a 7 pointer tonight that we believe was the one my wife missed last night. He came out at the same place at the same time as last night. This time he turned down the field instead of up. He was cruising the woodline right at dark and I could only see about the top 1/3 of him due to the slope of the field. I got on him the best I could and dropped him in his tracks with a neck shot. I don't know that I meant to hit him in the neck, but it was so rushed that I can't say for sure where I was aiming. That is not like me, but I really wanted him after what happened last night.

The good news is, he dropped in his tracks which is a good thing. I did not want to have to track a deer after dark in the rain. Oh yea, did I mention it was raining? My wife saw a doe in thefield when she got home and I did to an hour later. So we decided to give it a shot but this time I was up to bat. I didn't use my BP gun though, I used my Browning BAR 30-06. I have a ton of confidence in that gun. In fact, me and Mr. Browning get along real well. He almost always drops deer in their tracks with a 165 gr Nosler Partition.

To wrap up, my wife was maybe more excited than I was. I have hunted for 6 weeks, 4 with a bow and 2 with a BP rifle without even a shot. This was the first time out with my 30-06. My wife was really happy to know she missed the deer clean last night too. While we can't be 100% sure, we are confident this is the same deer based on the antlers and size and time of day of his appearance.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the buck. Too bad your wife missed him. IMO I only use a grunt as a last resort to try and bring a deer in. I could never see why anyone would want to get a deer's attention before you shoot it. I think they do that on TV just for the camera. If a deer is in a field feeding, it will be doing more standing than walking so I would just let it do its thing while I did mine. And why not shoot a slowly walking buck with a ML or rilfe? Bow yes, it should be standing still.
My friend and I always are watching the Outdoor Channel on Tuesdays and sometimes we have to chuckle. I know a lot has to do with the camera, etc. but if those guys hunted where we hunt they wouldn't take many deer. The deer have to be standing stone still, broadside, and looking at the camera.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Spike

Congrats on the buck Advwannabee.........i too was out all day in the rain here in Va, saw some small bucks an a few does but holding out for the 1 i saw this past Saturday evening big ol 12pt...i am still using the ml during the general firearms season....good luck 2 all an b safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.