Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wife missed her first shot at a deer *** UPDATE ***

Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Congrats on the buck. Too bad your wife missed him. IMO I only use a grunt as a last resort to try and bring a deer in. I could never see why anyone would want to get a deer's attention before you shoot it. I think they do that on TV just for the camera. If a deer is in a field feeding, it will be doing more standing than walking so I would just let it do its thing while I did mine. And why not shoot a slowly walking buck with a ML or rilfe? Bow yes, it should be standing still.
My friend and I always are watching the Outdoor Channel on Tuesdays and sometimes we have to chuckle. I know a lot has to do with the camera, etc. but if those guys hunted where we hunt they wouldn't take many deer. The deer have to be standing stone still, broadside, and looking at the camera.
I don't normally use it for that and didn't use it tonight. I hit my deer walking. I have also hit deer and coyote running. But my wife has never shot a deer and takes her time. If she had been a little faster on the trigger, she might have gotten him because the grunt froze the deer for a couple seconds.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by frontstuffer01
i am still using the ml during the general firearms season....
I am going back to the ML when hunting around my house. I spent a lot of time with it this year putting a scope on it and getting it dialed in and I am anxious to get one with it. Yesterday was the first day out with a rifle even though season started last Saturday.