Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finaly figured it out.....

Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Finaly figured it out.....

As many of you know I had problems in Aug. with my TC Triumph losing it accuracy. Had to rework a load and got it figured out. Well after hunting elk this weekend in the snow and getting wet. I thought that I would completely take my gun apart and clean/oil it. Well I found out that on my barrel were the hing pin goes in was loose. The two screws holding the metal was not tight. I should have noticed it earlier. My gun when not loaded and locked would still have alittle play in it. Also it was really easy to lock and unlock the gun. But I just thought that the gun was just getting broke in. However, retighting the screws made it just as tight as the day I bought it. So if anyone has a loss of accuracy or the loseness you need to check those screws. You need a No, 9 torque screw driver. I found one in a kit at Lowes. So now my gun might be off alittle bit, but when it got loose I still was shooting a three inch group. Thats good enough for elk hunting this year.. Just dont have the time to sight it in. Have to wait until spring. Still no elk found fresh sign but they led in the DEEP timber. Next weekend they are calling for alot of snow, so hopefully that will kick them out.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well glad you figured out the problem. Hope you harvest an elk. That is some real good eating.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

glad all is well.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

50Cal, glad you got it figured out. Now Im not trying to be a Jerk and Dont take this wrong but try and get them Groups a little tighter, 3" is'nt that Great. I work My Butt off to get the Best Possible Group possible out of any of My MLer's. If Im not getting a 1-1 1/2" group at 100 yds Im not Happy. The further you shoot the more open your groups get. So if your getting a 3" group it may go to a 5"++ group at further distances.
Dont settle for a group that's just OK, and just because a Elk is Big and you have a 3" group that the size of the Animal should compensate for the group size your shooting.
We owe a Good Clean Harvest to all the Animals we Hunt and it's a better feeling inside knowing that when you pull the trigger that your going to hit where you aim, not just in the general area. Say you shooting them 3" groups and a Elk of a Lifetime steps out, a Huge 7X7 and your shaking like a leaf, them 3" groups now may double at the shot because of your adrenalin, where as a 1" group may just still put you in the money.
Best of Luck to you and Im just trying to help, you can get Great Groups out of that Triumph with some Practice and the right Bullet Powder combo. Hunting is 99% Practice and 1% Shooting.
(BP)
Old 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
50Cal, glad you got it figured out. Now Im not trying to be a Jerk and Dont take this wrong but try and get them Groups a little tighter, 3" is'nt that Great. I work My Butt off to get the Best Possible Group possible out of any of My MLer's. If Im not getting a 1-1 1/2" group at 100 yds Im not Happy. The further you shoot the more open your groups get. So if your getting a 3" group it may go to a 5"++ group at further distances.
Dont settle for a group that's just OK, and just because a Elk is Big and you have a 3" group that the size of the Animal should compensate for the group size your shooting.
We owe a Good Clean Harvest to all the Animals we Hunt and it's a better feeling inside knowing that when you pull the trigger that your going to hit where you aim, not just in the general area. Say you shooting them 3" groups and a Elk of a Lifetime steps out, a Huge 7X7 and your shaking like a leaf, them 3" groups now may double at the shot because of your adrenalin, where as a 1" group may just still put you in the money.
Best of Luck to you and Im just trying to help, you can get Great Groups out of that Triumph with some Practice and the right Bullet Powder combo. Hunting is 99% Practice and 1% Shooting.
(BP)
Maybe I wasn't explaining myself clearly. When the gun has a primer and is locked it never was loose. So even if I tightened the screws making it tight when it is locked and NOT having a primer. It shouldn't effect my accuracy. I was shooting a half inch group with the loose gun right before hunting season. (if i can't get a 1 inch group with my guns i hate it) I just don't have to time to double check the gun. Only two weeks left and its in the 30s with snow for the rest of week and next week. Were I hunt elk at it will be under 100 yards. So thats why I'm not too worried if I end up shooting a three inch group. Elk have a 12 or 16 inch kill zone.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 50calty
Maybe I wasn't explaining myself clearly. When the gun has a primer and is locked it never was loose. So even if I tightened the screws making it tight when it is locked and NOT having a primer. It shouldn't effect my accuracy. I was shooting a half inch group with the loose gun right before hunting season. (if i can't get a 1 inch group with my guns i hate it) I just don't have to time to double check the gun. Only two weeks left and its in the 30s with snow for the rest of week and next week. Were I hunt elk at it will be under 100 yards. So thats why I'm not too worried if I end up shooting a three inch group. Elk have a 12 or 16 inch kill zone.
Great! Hope you get your Elk and all works out for you.
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 11-17-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

BP

What if he isn't using a scope... a 3" group off a bench with open sights would work for a lot of people so why might it not work even if there might be a scope involved?

Granted he should consider shorting or limiting his range to the 100 yard mark...

just a thought...
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

No scope and a 3" group at 100yds is great, especially if that's off hand, I'd have a tough time getting a 3" group off hand at 100yds.
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 11-17-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

I had the same problem with my Omega. I used loctite when I fixed it and never had a problem again. Good luck elk hunting.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Mike would you honestly go Hunting with your ML if it shot a 3" Group? I dont think you would.......
I probably would not with a scope, but with open sights I would... but you do realize that a 3" group translate to 1 1/2" above or below - left or right of where you might be putting the cross hairs.

And I assumed a 100 yards as most folks consider that the standard, but you could be right - I wonder what range he may be talking about. What ever that range is that should be his max.

Another thought, there are a lot of people out there the can not shoot any better than that, especially in states like Idaho that require open sights on a ML to hunt with during ML season. Age and eyes will someday make a big difference also.

Have you ever heard of 'Point Blank Range' shooting. I sight my guns in using a PBR of 6". That means in the case of my 50 Knight... I can put the cross hairs on 'the' spot from 0 yards to 178 yards and I will never be more than 3" low of that spot nor 3" higher than the spot. So @ 100 yards if I were to shoot an animal the bullet would impact 2.78" high, and @ 178 yards the impact would be near 3" low. Most folks sighting a ML use some form of PBR. So in a way I am using a larger area than we are discussing in a 3" group.

So I guess I am trying to saying if the individual knows that he may miss his spot by 3" it really will not effect his ability to humanely harvest an animal at the given dstance provided he chooses a spot on the target than can be critically covered by the 3" spread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.