Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finaly figured it out.....

Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to shoot paper. I like to work up the smallest possible groups with the gun I'm playing with. But frankly, I have no problem hunting whitetails with a gun/load that consistently produces three-inch 100 yard groups.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

I probably would not with a scope, but with open sights I would... but you do realize that a 3" group translate to 1 1/2" above or below - left or right of where you might be putting the cross hairs.

And I assumed a 100 yards as most folks consider that the standard, but you could be right - I wonder what range he may be talking about. What ever that range is that should be his max.

Another thought, there are a lot of people out there the can not shoot any better than that, especially in states like Idaho that require open sights on a ML to hunt with during ML season. Age and eyes will someday make a big difference also.

Have you ever heard of 'Point Blank Range' shooting. I sight my guns in using a PBR of 6". That means in the case of my 50 Knight... I can put the cross hairs on 'the' spot from 0 yards to 178 yards and I will never be more than 3" low of that spot nor 3" higher than the spot. So @ 100 yards if I were to shoot an animal the bullet would impact 2.78" high, and @ 178 yards the impact would be near 3" low. Most folks sighting a ML use some form of PBR. So in a way I am using a larger area than we are discussing in a 3" group.

So I guess I am trying to saying if the individual knows that he may miss his spot by 3" it really will not effect his ability to humanely harvest an animal at the given dstance provided he chooses a spot on the target than can be critically covered by the 3" spread.
if you can consistantly put your shot where your aiming and stay within the 3" group and keep your shots limited to 100yds then that's fine for a 3" group. I just was wondering if he got the 3" groups at 25,50 or a 100yds and if he was using a Scope or Open Sights.
I would have to say for myself, if I shot Open Sights at 100yds I'd be Impressed if I could keep em within 3", and that would be off a Bench, Off Hand would be worse. That's why I use a Scope.
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 11-17-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

When the problem began it was at 100 yards with a scope. I don't like the thought when you think of 200 yards and a six inch group. But were we elk hunt is a 100 yards or less. Just too cold to double check the gun and no time.