Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This is'nt Rut Weather, how's your Season Going?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default This is'nt Rut Weather, how's your Season Going?

Well I finally started Bowhunting November 6th just in time for the Rut here up North. But the Weather has not been COLD and Crisp as it should be. This last week we've had temps in the high 50's to 60's. The Deer just ar'nt moving in this warm weather, Im guessing there doing most of the breeding at night when the temps get down into the 20's and 30's. How's your Weather and Season going? I know a-lot of you already have had your ML Season going, so how's it going for you?
Our Bow Season ends next Friday and our Firearms Season starts Saturday, but good news, our Weatherman say's SNOW by Wednsday! so hopefully by Opening Day we'll have the Weather were more accustomed to for Hunting in the North. Also it'll Cool Down by the beginning of the week so I'll have a week to Hunt the Rut in some Cooler Weather befor I have to put away the Bow and get the Smokepole out and get into the Feeling of what Hunting in the North is really suppos-to-be like.
I know the Bucks are moving at night as there's been more car Deer Accidents this year than normal.
WEIRD, just as Im writing this on the Local News there talking about Car Deer Accidents that are on the rise, they say in NY there are 65,000 Car Deer Accidents a year here.
(BP)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rut is on here in SW VA! About Wed or Thur the temps dropped and the bucks started moving. I seen 5 bucks in 4 days. I can't tell you the last time I had that streak here in VA. This morning was a beautiful morning. Here's what we killed this morning. My cousin's (right) was right behind 3 does. Mine (left) was by himself but checking a scrape line and had his nose in the wind trying to find him one. My buck only had 3 teeth he was so old.

Hope you find success in NY!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well the rut is definately not on yet. I've been in my stand almost every day since the opener here in PA. I figured I logged in about 126 hours in the stand. The bucks have been making scrapes and in the past 2 weeks there seems to be a new rub around my stand almost daily.
The temps dropped in the evenings recently (27 degrees yesterday morning) but still warm during the day. Buck have just started cruising looking for hot does. The younger bucks are harassing the does and you may ocassionally see one chasing. But the bigger boys are waiting. I figure it will be about another week or so until the rut fully kicks in. It seems to be very late this year.
I have been extremely lucky lately in that I found an old RR bed that the buck use to cruise back and forth looking for doe. They can cover a lot of ground quickly and quietly. And it is in an area that no one bothers except an occasional grouse or turkey hunter coming thru. That is what you need to look for. An old logging road, RR bed, or even a ridge line that has a prevailing crosswind that the buck can use as they look for a receptive doe.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well the rut is definately not on yet. I've been in my stand almost every day since the opener here in PA. I figured I logged in about 126 hours in the stand. The bucks have been making scrapes and in the past 2 weeks there seems to be a new rub around my stand almost daily.
The temps dropped in the evenings recently (27 degrees yesterday morning) but still warm during the day. Buck have just started cruising looking for hot does. The younger bucks are harassing the does and you may ocassionally see one chasing. But the bigger boys are waiting. I figure it will be about another week or so until the rut fully kicks in. It seems to be very late this year.
I have been extremely lucky lately in that I found an old RR bed that the buck use to cruise back and forth looking for doe. They can cover a lot of ground quickly and quietly. And it is in an area that no one bothers except an occasional grouse or turkey hunter coming thru. That is what you need to look for. An old logging road, RR bed, or even a ridge line that has a prevailing crosswind that the buck can use as they look for a receptive doe.
Oh Im seeing a few Bucks, but not the Buck movement that I should be seeing. Some times it not uncommon for me to see a dozen or so different Bucks in one day from my stand. Im on some old Buck travel routes and Doe Bedding ground runs that always produce Deer sightings. We know the Deer are there as we spot them at night in the Corn and Soybean fields, but the Warm Weather during the Day has slowed daytime movement way down.
It's just one of those years I guess, I still have another week to go and like I said Cooler Weather and Snow are comming and that always gets the Deer Moving and Fired up. Also Bow Season for me is Big Bucks or nothing, 130 Class or better, Gun Season is for Meat in the Freezer with the DMP (Doe Management Permits) so if I dont see the Buck Im after I go into Firearms Season with 2 Buck Tags to have for Shotgun and Late ML Season, I'll take a Big Doe or Two with the DMP Tags and wait out the Big Bucks then too.
(BP)
Old 11-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Spike

Breechplug I was seeing more deer movement in stockton were I'm hunting from Oct. 28- Nov. 2nd when I shot my buck. I was watching them spar & chaseing doe and science the 2nd deer have been tough to see. I did see a few this morning. Here is the guy I got on the 2nd.
Attached Thumbnails This is'nt Rut Weather, how's your Season Going?-dscf0927.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bossmoss
Breechplug I was seeing more deer movement in stockton were I'm hunting from Oct. 28- Nov. 2nd when I shot my buck. I was watching them spar & chaseing doe and science the 2nd deer have been tough to see. I did see a few this morning. Here is the guy I got on the 2nd.
Hey that's My No1 Hunting Spot, My Buddy owns a pice of Property there on 380, across from Straights Old Christmas Tree Farm, it's got the Big Swamp in it. Anyway I worked all through the times you mentioned and just started to Hunt on Nov 6th, I figured I'd be just in time for the Rut. I did Hunt Stockton the other Day and Passed on a Big Bodied 7 Pointer at 15yds Broadside, he musta went around 200lbs. But if you know the place where I Hunt and you know Stockton then you know why I Passed on that Buck, there's Much Bigger ones than that.
(BP)
Old 11-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Nice deer Boss

Nice deer boss. BP, hope you fair well in the next week. I have the same type corridor as you do. When you see a lone deer coming up it, you can almost guarantee its a buck. Yesterday (nov 12) was my 'lucky day' this year. Got this guy at 7:15 in the morn as he was hustling up the old RR bed looking for does. Hit the release just about a second or two before he winded me. Watched him go about 70 yds and stop then fall over. Nice when you don't have to track them.
Attached Thumbnails This is'nt Rut Weather, how's your Season Going?-2010-buck-007.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Spike

bronko22000, Nice deer way to go. I have also seen lots of solo buck this year.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

We did ok Saturday and today we thought we got out too late but .........Nothing huge but good eating

One ok buck the first day at 7:15am and a doe then 2 youngins in about 20min at 8:30ish am. The GMB54 just slammed them.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Went and took down my tree stand today and checked the old RR bed. Man the fresh tracks on it! Looks like a lot of traveling going on. Had the grand kids with me and they had a blast while I took down the stand. They each had a bottle of Lemonade and some cookies to keep them busy and played with sticks and whatever. I would be willing to bet that in the next day or two there will be a lot of chasing going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.