Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

tight bore

Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Spike

Default tight bore

T/C Triumph.....ultra tight bore......bent ramrod......shockwaves w/superglides. T/C tells me to lap the bore with auto rubbing compound. Scuttlebut tells me to use JB. Anyone ever used tooth past? It's abrasive ya know! What about going to a .451 bullet as opposed to the .452 shockwaves?

Last edited by nratc; 11-07-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience round balls shoot better when really tight but with sabots a bit snug works better.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

T/C Triumph.....ultra tight bore......bent ramrod......shockwaves w/superglides. T/C tells me to lap the bore with auto rubbing compound.
Some of the TC guns come with really rough barrels. Never used rubbing compound but have used a lot of jewlers rouge. Most muzzleloader shooters use JB paste and it works great.

There are not a wide variety of .451 bullets out there.

You should try a different sabot. Harvester crush rib sabots or Hornady low drag sabots load easier.

Last edited by falcon; 11-07-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

NAPA valve grinding compound, JB Bore Paste, Toothpaste, Comet Cleaner (dry kind), all of them have been used. These are some of the things used to make a tight bore behave. I never tried toothpaste though.

Personally I would tell T/C that I want them to fix the problem. All they will probably do is lapp the barrel like they told you to do. When I pay good money for a new rifle, it burns my candle that the company wants me to fix their problem.

If I had to (because the company would not) fix the problem I would get some un-lubed maxiball or some other LEAD conical that had no lube that would fit down the bore. I am almost positive that minnie ball would fit down the bore. The .50 caliber are .500 in diameter. I would lube them with the valve grinding compound. Then go to a range and shoot about ten of them. Then go home and clean the barrel. Next take some JB Bore paste and I would work the barrel over with that stuff for about 100 strokes. Then clean the barrel again. I think after that you would have a nice normal bore.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

nratc

TC is correct you can lap the bore as they recommend, but IMO unless you have some experiance at doing this I think there might be other ways to go first. I have had TC lap a couple of barrels for me and they do a very good job of it if you have time and can send it back to them.

JB's is what i would suggest and exactly what I did and do. The process is not that hard and it really hard to go wrong. Probably the biggest fault is you will not make enough passes top to bottom the first time you try.

Here are some ideas you might look at.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ANING_COMPOUND

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...G_Bore_Pellets

The last one a video explains the process... I have not used the bore pellets as they are a expensive in the amount you have to order, instead I have used a the cleaning jag and patches to make sure that jag fits snugly and is covered very well.

My process is to clean the bore as clean as possible - then begin the JB process with the brass cleaning/loading jag, patches, quality bore oil, and JB's. I run one set of patches for 25 strokes full length of the bore. At the end of the 25 strokes flip the patches and run another 25 strokes. Repeat the process 4 times - new patches - new oil - new JB's. Clean the bore and try to load a sabot and bullet combination. You may have to repeat the whole process one more time. In my Triumph one such treatment seemed to cure the world...

Others that have done this probably do it differently so I am sure you will read other methods. From there you get to make a choice.

One other thing that I do and have done is a process called 'Fire Lapping'. Load a lead conical lubed with JB's and shoot a few of them to lap the barrel. Might look up 'fire lapping' on the internet and see what you come up with.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-07-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Spike

Is all them TC bores like that i havent got around to shooting this Omega yet hope it loads ok
Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

JB is a polish that is not abrasive, 50 to two hundred strokes should do it use full length strokes [ this is important] change the patch before it wears out you want uniform pressure, add a bit every 3 or 4 strokes.
If that does not give me the results I want I flatten 3 balls of the caliber and use diamond dust polishing compound on oil after I drive the flattened balls into the bore to fit them to the bore ; be careful this does cut keep the strokes full length and don't take out any more than a thousand or so. If you are not pushed for time TC does a good job of it, especally if you are not experenced at this type of work.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of people use toothpaste on lever actions to slick up the action. It is a fairly light abrasive and takes a little time. But it is less invasive. And can be left on while in use to slicken up the action in a lever. I am not advocating leaving it in a MZ barrel. However I just use JB bore paste and alp the barrel if it needs it. And most do. Tom.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Typical Buck

My Triumph had a very tight bore, I ordered Harvester Crush rib sabots and problem solved.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Spike

Well gang I sure appreciate all your responses. I went to Gander Mt yesterday and asked their resident gunsmith if they lapped ML barrels. He said he could but it would void the T/C warranty. He suggested I call MMP and they would fix my problem. I called this morning and explained my problem in detail. They said that the T/C superglide sabot diameter was too big and their HHP 3petal-EZ sabot would take care of my problem. I ordered a bag. I will let you all know if they work in a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.