Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunted Hard For This Doe

Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hunted Hard For This Doe

Gun: TC Encore .50
Scope: Zeiss 4X32
Powder: 100 grains of 3f Pinnacle
Bullet: 250 grain Shockwave
Primer: Winchester shotgun

Today was the first day of Ft. Sill deer gun season. Was off this morning at 05:00. Got into position on a game trail at about 06:00. Heard some movement before daylight but saw nothing. About 09:00 i left the stand and went off still hunting. Still hunted the rest of the day: Probably walked 8-10 miles . Come about 17:45 i was on the way to my favorite stand walking against the 5mph wind.

Saw this doe about 80 yards away standing broadside. Went to ground, assumed a good sitting position and fired. At the shot the deer took of, went about 15 yards and fell dead. She weighs 69 pounds field dressed. The bullet exited, leaving the hole seen in the photo.

That Encore is a good muzzleloader but it weighs 9 pounds with scope. It wears an old man out.
Attached Thumbnails Hunted Hard For This Doe-doe-6-nov-10-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by falcon; 11-06-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

falcon

Congrats!!!!

I am hoping my time will come right about thanksgiving time - I do not want to get one to soon - I still have hunting till Dec 14.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one particular Old Doe I Hunted last Season, saw hew throughout Bow Season (Had Shots but I wont take a Doe during Archery Season as they Attract Bucks) Seen her during our Regular Firearms Season but each time she had other Deer with her and I was ground Hunting and the other Deer were always on Aleart and I just could never get a clean shot at her. The Second Day of Late MLer Season she walked out broadside to feed on the Corn, I got her at 40yds, it was a Bittersweet ending to a Old Girl.
Congrats on your Doe Falcon! But like Sabotloader we can Hunt untill Dec 21st and were still Bowhunting here, Gun Season starts 2 weeks from today. Im still after a Good Buck with My Bow.
(BP)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on that doe. That will be some excellent eating there. And I noticed you were shooting Shockwaves. It seems you had no problems making them expand and do what they are supposed to do. We hear horror stories about shockwaves all the time so it is nice to see that with some people, they work just fine.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that was quite a hike carrying a heavy rifle. The other day i walked a shy 4 mile, carrying my X7, and that was plenty to suit me. Then to finish yours off, you ended up with meat; me, all i have is memories.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Is that the exit wound? That is a heck of a hole it put through that doe. I just read Ron's post. You were able to drive to that thing to pick it up I hope. Otherwise I would have had that all eaten before I could have dragged that thing back to the truck...

I did not realize the rifle was that heavy. WOW that is a lot of rifle to carry that far. I think I would get myself a little light Knight LK-II. I would hate to tote that kind of weight plus a deer all that far.

That is one thing about my Renegades with those Green Mountain Barrels and a scope on them. They seem heavy to me. But I walk into my woods and sit in a nice blinds on a soft bucket seat, thermos of coffee, some salted peanuts to munch on, apples, and wait and see nothing... then walk home and eat dinner. Heck of a life wouldn't you say?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is that the exit wound? That is a heck of a hole it put through that doe.
That is the exit hole. Ruined a little meat there. That is a deliberate high shoulder shot although it does not look like it. The heart and lungs were not hit.

I just read Ron's post. You were able to drive to that thing to pick it up I hope.
Sure did. Just drove up and loaded it in the back of the truck. Sure beats a long dragging job. Field dressed the doe in the back of the truck; it keeps things cleaner that way.

Ron, i often end up with only memories. My success rate on deer is about one deer per five or six hunts. The hog success rate is better.

Have not seen a buck on Ft. Sill this hunting season. We had a very bad ice storm that messed things up badly for the deer: Counts at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge and Ft. Sill show the deer population to be down by about 25 percent over last year. The bucks were still weak from the rut when that storm hit and it got a lot of them.