Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is this bullet a rebranded Gold Dot? Or something else?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this bullet a rebranded Gold Dot? Or something else?

So I've been shooting Federal Fusions in my muzzle loaders this year as have a few friends. These are the 300 grain ones. I've really been impressed with their accuracy in my muzzle loader, and infact everyone I've seen them shot in has shot them well. I even got to see a deer someone had shot with them and they had great performance. I've just thrilled with these, but the one complaint I have is the price. They are $14 for 12 locally at one shop, and even more at the other one that sells them.

Then I got online and read that they are a re branded Gold Dot a few places, then other places said they weren't. So that's why I'm asking. If I can get this same performance at Gold Dot price that's what I'm after.

BTW I'm really hoping to find the exact same setup so I don't have to re adjust the scope on these things, but if I can't find the same bullet, I guess that I still want to switch.

Anyway onto info about the Fusions bullets. All I really know is that the package says it's a 45-caliber slug with a specially designed sabot for accuracy and dependability. Then under that it says "Featuring Harvester Muzzleloading's "Crush Rib Sabot.""
Here are some pictures of the bullet and the sabot. Do these look like a gold dot? Or is it something else?

Then here are a few of one that I dug out of the ground after sighting the gun in.

So do these look like a Gold Dot? I hope so as I'm tired of paying $14 for 12 bullets. Or are they something unique that I have to buy these to get this bullet? I switched from the Powerbelts to these and have just been amazed by them all the way around, but I'm always looking for ways to save money.

If they are Gold Dots which bullets and sabots do I need to order?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

That does NOT look like a GoldDot but it sure looks like it performed very well.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a Gold Dot for sure. Or at least made by Speer with GD technology and basic design.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's a Gold Dot for sure.
Ive got the 300gr sitting right in front of me and it doesnt look anything like that. Mine have the newer DeepCurl label but even the base looks different.

It could be a ML specific version since it sure looks like it performed like a GoldDot. According to their website they are made like a GoldDot with plating rather than a conventional jacket. They even use similar wording in the manufacturing description.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are neither Gold Dot or Deep Curl; they are Fusion. They sure expand and hold together like them though. Purchasing Deep Curl, and crush rib sabot would cost you near 1/2 what them Fusion are costing. The expanded Deep Curl/Gold Dot are near identical to them Fusion, except for the 'dot' in the center. Image stolen from sabotloader.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is what I can tell you... Speer Bullets, which is down the hill from me in Lewiston or actually the parent company ATK does load shells for Federal Fusion and oddly enough ATK is the parent company of Federal.

They certainly do not look like Gold Dots from the outside but they are built by Speer for Federal under contract. So Gold Dot/Deep Curl with cosmetic differences...

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...se-on-april-1/

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-01-2010 at 05:40 PM.