Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

We are what we eat

Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Default We are what we eat

Now that hunting season is here, many are scoring on some great meat. And that brings me to this question...

Of all the species of deer, what is your favorite kind of Cervidae meat?

Elk was one of the best meats I ever had. I just wish that they were not so far away to hunt. As this is an animal I would like to have a lot of.

Moose was also very good. I enjoyed moose meat a great deal. Although I had it at a friends house and you'd swear the dog must have lifted his leg on it. It was pretty rank. I suspect he did not handle the meat properly or was just a terrible cook. I have cooked moose roasts and steaks and they were just incredible.

White tail deer is a common meat. I grew up eating it. I have eaten it all my life I guess you could say. There are some that claim they do not like Whitetail deer meat, but I suspect that the time they tried it, it was not made correctly. In fact my sister in law was one of them ... I hate deer meat people. So for Thanksgiving one year, I made the front shoulder of a fresh whitetail kill and told no one what it was. Her and the rest of them devoured that thing.

Mule deer... I am not sure if I have eaten it. I must have at some game feed, but I better not swear to it. I have never hunted them. But looking at the pictures of them, they look like a lot of fun to hunt and probably excellent eating as well.

Blacktail deer.. I have never eaten them. Are they like a whitetail in taste and texture?

Antelope was one meat that I liked when I ate it at a friends house. But then I had it another time and it tasted kind of goat like. Although it was good, the first time it was better. Perhaps they are one of those creatures that you are what you eat.

Caribou was all right made into sausage, but I had a steak of it and would not walk across the street for more of it. Again, maybe it was made wrong or it ate the wrong thing.

I had Red Stag at a game feed once. A farm raised some of them. And at the game feed there was a red stag roast. Now that was very good. It reminded me of elk.

I can not think of other types, but what is your favorite?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it all depends on what kind of diet the critter had and how it was handled after it was shot. I really like the corn fed whitetail we have here in Southern Minnesota. I have had All of the choices you listed except the Caribou and the Red Stag and I have enjoyed them all if taken care of and prepared properly.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

One person' opinion:

Elk, whitetail deer, mule deer, pronghorn, and moose all taste near the same to me. Big bull elk are tough; buck deer stink in the kitchen, and can be tough; big bull moose are like chewing a boot; big pronghorn buck stink to high heaven in the field, and it seems like the smell stays on one's hands for at least a week, but the cooking and eating is as good as it gets.

The best i ever ate, was but once; a young javelina female i killed. I had heard horror stories about them being a 'rat', and look out for the 'gland' etc., so i was ever so careful dressing her. The meat was excellent! It was like a taste mix of venison with an edge taste of pork. It was oh so good!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't beat Axis deer.

I like whitetail and elk.

Mule deer can be good or bad. When I kill them from the high country, they are great. I killed a timberline, mature 29 inch 8x7 that was one of the best tasting deer I have ever eaten. From the low country, they taste like sage, which I don't care for, so I have them made into hamburger and sausage.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite of all the game animals I have eaten is probably hay fed antelope. GOOD.

Elk is a close second, then white tailed jack rabbit (just had the other day for the first time, 2 I killed last week), moose, deer, buffalo, chukar (up there at the top as well), mountain lion (very good, after I got the smell out of my nose).

Its all good, lol

Marcial
Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My First Choice (and we have none around here) would be Cow Elk. I have a Friend who go's every year and gets one and I cant wait for him to get home and give me some!
My Second Choice is what we Hunt here, Whitetail. I agree a Big Ol Whitetail is'nt that good eatin and stinks like heck as we get most of ours during the Rut. But if given the chance I'll take me a Nice Big un and make the whole Deer in to Sausage and then it's not so bad.
My Wife usually Hunts and shoots a Couple of meat Does for the Freezer and there pretty good eatin (105-135lb) range.
But (and I dont shoot them) but have ate them and nothing taste better than a Young Whitetail around the 60-70lb range.
But the way Food Prices are going up as Inflation is gonna get US all soon, I just may have to shoot a extra Deer or Two this year for the Freezer. 3 Usually gets us through the year, but this year it may be 5.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cooked some moose steaks a few years back and thought it was the best wild game I have every eaten. I like elk, whitetail and proghorn. Come to think of it theres not to much wild game I dont like.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

My experience is limited to mostly whitetails, which are darn good eating in my opinion (and in the opinion of my wife, two sons, daughter, three granddaughters, and various in-laws). I process all of my deer myself and treat it right.

The three or four elk meals I've had over the years were mighty fine and struck me as a lot closer to beef than to whitetail. The only moose I've eaten was some sausage given to me a few years back. It was OK, but nothing spectacular. It certainly didn't serve as a basis for judging moose meat. Never had any mule deer, pronghorn, bear, etc. But if you shoo some my way I'll be glad to shoot it and eat it.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best I ever had was moose tenderloin. Tom.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Typical Buck

Caribou {Quebec} has to be my favorite followed by Elk {even big bulls} Moose third and then good ole Indiana whitetail. I have tried Antelope several times {shot a few} and ended up giving it away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.