Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder measure suggestions needed

Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Powder measure suggestions needed

I have a tc omega and am currently shooting two 50gr triple 7 pellets behind a 250gr shockwave. Results have been good out to 150 with iron sights(keepin' it in a paper plate at 150), but I would like to experiment with this blackhorn that I have heard word of. I like the shockwave and for now will stick with this bullet.

I have no experience with loose powder and need some powder measure suggestions and guidance. Does anyone make a measure that is adjustable from say 75 - 150 grains and will drop the entire powder amount in one motion?? Can I get this measure in a model that holds more than one of these charges, say for follow up shots in the field??

I hope this has showcased how much of a rookie I am at this, and I appreciate any help offered.

Andy
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The TC U-View is what I use. It is easy to adjust and measure. It only goes to 120 grains which is the maximum amount most will use for BH209.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
The TC U-View is what I use. It is easy to adjust and measure. It only goes to 120 grains which is the maximum amount most will use for BH209.

+1. I use it most b/c it's the only one I have. But I like it...I can't imagine one much better. Not sure how durable it is, but it has been fine for me and seems pretty sturdy.

I have an Omega, and when everything is behaving, I have gotten good results with 90gr BH209 and 260 gr Harvester Scorpions w/ black crushed rib sabot. Next time I order more projectiles, I'll be ordering more Scorpions and both the black and red crushed rib sabots to see which one shoots better. I was turned on to the Scorpions by another member here with an Omega who says he's touching holes just about every time with 'em.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

most powder measures go from 50 to 120 grains. Then you need to get some loading tubes. Simply measure out the amount of Blackhorn 209 or for that matter any other powder, with the measure. Then pour that amount into the tube and shut the lid. Carry several of them when you hunt. Then all you need do is pop open a tube, pour in the pre measured powder and your set to put the projectile in.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tested several against the powder balance scale I have, the one closes to what it should be volume to weight and for the least variation is the U View.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

U-view and speedloader tubes. I use a t/c speedloader that holds 3 powder tubes and 4 primers, and carry bullets loose.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Ok thanks for the input!!...looks like I'm going to pick up some blackhorn 209, a u-view, and some speed loader tubes. I have a digital grain scale that I use for my archery tackle, will this suffice for verifying the amount of powder the measure drops??

Will any of the powder fall through the hole in the breech plug or is it to coarse??

I have heard of folks having to drill out their breech plugs like you would drill a jet in a carburetor when "re jetting", any issues with the tc omega?? I have a z5 with a pepper laminate thumbhole stock with fiber optic sights(not that this would make a whole lot of difference).

Is Blackhorn 209 a hotter powder than the triple 7? Is that why I haven't seen people using more than 110 grains or am I sheltered?

Also what are these crushed rib sabots that you folks speak of??

Talk about a lot of questions??? But I know you guys like to teach as I like to learn!!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me, it seems what you are planning to acquire will do the job.

Your scale should be just fine.

Powder will not leak through the flash hole; it is 0.029".

Do not drill the flash hole larger, or modify your breech plug in any way. It is near perfect as is, for use with BH209.

Them crush rib are available from Harvester.