Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally feeling confident in the Omega – Ready for opening day!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally feeling confident in the Omega – Ready for opening day!

For whatever reason, I couldn’t get a tight group at 100 yards out of my T/C Omega to save my life (3.5 inch groups). That is until after I had put about 20 rounds down range in any given session. Then, the Omega would turn into a tack driver. Since I was using “non-corrosive” BH209, I decided not to clean the barrel and leave it as it was for hunting season, which would open in less than two weeks. Four days later I checked the barrel and there was…to my surprise (but not yours!)…RUST! Well I freaked out and cleaned the hell out of that thing, ‘till the bore shone like a mirror. Even used a LITTLE bit of 0000 steel wool. I’m actually going to post a thread about the cleaning process later…I don’t think ANYONE has a truly clean barrel.

Anyway, got the rust thang taken care of as best as I could for now, though it could reappear. I guess we’ll see. I will Bore Coat it at the end of the season. But, of course, my confidence in my Omega was greatly shaken, at least for shots 100 yards + (obviously with a 3.5” groups, you wanna know where within that 3.5” the bullet is gonna hit!).

Even though I didn’t have time to make it out to the range again before Oct 30, I MADE the time. I had to shoot one more time to make sure I was confident in the field. But, how to do it since I will be hunting with a CLEAN barrel now? I decided to do something I have never done before, since I have ONLY used BH209 in my muzzleloading experience: swab between shots. I figured that was the best way to determine how my rifle groups with a clean (or at least semi clean barrel). I only had time to shoot three shots. I swabbed the oil out and fired two 209 primer-only shots to get a little fouling in the barrel. Shot one was 1/2" left of the 1" orange target spot I put up. I breathed a sigh of relief. At least I know that my first shot in the field would have been good. I swabbed with an alcohol patch on the end of a cleaning jag, and shot two hit 1.25" away, about 3/4" high of the target spot. I swabbed again, but this time twice (once on each side of the patch). The next shot was almost touching holes with the first shot. Needless to say, I now feel fully confident going into the field. Except for the fact that my Omega's firing pin doesn't seem to protrude to the rear far enough. I can almost push it flush with the...whatever it is...hammer stop?...without it bouncing back. I took it apart and cleaned it...though it wasn't really dirty. Looks like it could use another spring. But that is another matter.

I wish I would have had time to, after shooting the "clean barrel" group, continue shooting without swabbing to see if the group would worsen. If it would have remained consistent without swabbing, I would have had to wonder if running the steel wool down the bore smoothed out some imperfections. Perhaps I will find out after the season.

T/C Omega Z5
90 gr BH209
CCI 209M primers
260 gr Harvester Scorpion w/ black crushed rib sabot
Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 10-25-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: forgot load data
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

7.62NATO

Just out of curiosity and because I do not remember, which Omega are you shooting?

The only reason! I am asking is it the problem you experianced MAY not be with the powder or the bore...

Next dumb question.... do you have one of those thin teflon cutting boards you use around the kitchen?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
7.62NATO

Just out of curiosity and because I do not remember, which Omega are you shooting?

The only reason! I am asking is it the problem you experianced MAY not be with the powder or the bore...

Next dumb question.... do you have one of those thin teflon cutting boards you use around the kitchen?
The cheap one! Omega Z5 (blued barrel, black synthetic stock).

No such cutting board, but I'm sure your reason for asking is not dumb. What's up?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
The cheap one! Omega Z5 (blued barrel, black synthetic stock).

No such cutting board, but I'm sure your reason for asking is not dumb. What's up?
While the Z5 is less expensive - it still is an Omega and it will shoot and really shoot well.

The problem I believe you might have is not in the metal parts at all. It may be in the stock (which is the same stock used on the SS steel regular Omega) and the way that the gun sits in the stock. Your last last shooting session gave me a clue. If you have not taken the gun out of the stock from the last session - DON'T - just leave untill hunting season is over... It is real possible that the barreled action moves around in the stock a bit and you may have found the good spot - so I would leave it alone. Make sure the two lug mounting screws are snug...

Read through this write up that I did several months ago - it might give you some answers or thoughts...

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...-weakness.html

There are or is a short cut that could work in time for hunting season if you have time for another range trip....

mike
Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

F. I took it off the stock last night to get a better look at the firing pin because it is not protruding from the breech very far at all. I just posted a topic about it.

I think my confidence bubble just burst all over the place. I did put witness marks on the stock and tightened the screws to the same spot.

F!!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Also take a look a the experience I had, which I posted here:
http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...ing-omega.html

I agree with Sabotloader and would suspect a stock/bedding issue.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

7.62NATO

Really sorry about the bubble...

Now just for grins - run a dollar bill under the barrel down through the stock - see if it runs all the way down to the first recoil lug without getting stuck?

Next time you take the gun apart - set the action back in the stock and start the lug screws. Then stand the gun on the recoil pad on the floor and gently tap the stock with the action in place on the floor. With the gun still verticle on the floor tighten the lug screws...

You can make a couple of shims to fit in the lug pockets - use a hole punch to put the screw hole in the shims and then remount the whole works to see if the $ bill slides down the stock. If you do not have a the teflon you can use an aluminum pop/beer can and with a pair if scissors to cut the shims. If you use the almum you will probably have to double up the shims to get the thickness you need.

Last time you took it apart di you notice any polished spots on the barrel channel of the stock?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

7.62NATO

Really sorry about the bubble...

Now just for grins - run a dollar bill under the barrel down through the stock - see if it runs all the way down to the first recoil lug without getting stuck?

Next time you take the gun apart - set the action back in the stock and start the lug screws. Then stand the gun on the recoil pad on the floor and gently tap the stock with the action in place on the floor. With the gun still verticle on the floor tighten the lug screws...

You can make a couple of shims to fit in the lug pockets - use a hole punch to put the screw hole in the shims and then remount the whole works to see if the $ bill slides down the stock. If you do not have a the teflon you can use an aluminum pop/beer can and with a pair if scissors to cut the shims. If you use the almum you will probably have to double up the shims to get the thickness you need.

Last time you took it apart di you notice any polished spots on the barrel channel of the stock?
Yeah, you popped it! You had to go and tell me what you thought the problem was! LOL. Now, you need to explain to my wife why I need to spend more time fooling with the gun and to both my wife and my boss why I need to go back to the range for (what I hope will be) another quickie.

I will definitely be taking the barreled action off the stock TONIGHT to check for the marks. There is no way in hizell I can sit here and read your thread and not take it apart. Hopefully it will pass the dollar bill test! If it does not, I will get the cutting board and fiberglass compound. What did you use for the compound?

Semisane - I'll be reading your thread next. Though I should be working... See where my loyalty lies? With my guns, LOL.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

7.62NATO

You will not need to do the fiberglass routine at this time, when you get to see the pictures it will make a whole lot more sense to you.

At this point and because you are so close to hunting season just shimming the pockets will work for you for now... if that is the problem which I am almost sure it might be.

The other thing if you are bench shooting with a front rest keep the rest as far back on the under side of the stock as you can that will reduce the compression of the stock against the barrel.

The last resort if there is time - I have a extra black Omega stock with the work already done you could certainly borrow for hunting season if I can get it to you quick enough....
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

7.62NATO

You will not need to do the fiberglass routine at this time, when you get to see the pictures it will make a whole lot more sense to you.

At this point and because you are so close to hunting season just shimming the pockets will work for you for now... if that is the problem which I am almost sure it might be.

The other thing if you are bench shooting with a front rest keep the rest as far back on the under side of the stock as you can that will reduce the compression of the stock against the barrel.

The last resort if there is time - I have a extra black Omega stock with the work already done you could certainly borrow for hunting season if I can get it to you quick enough....
You are really too kind. I can't imagine making the shims would be that much work at all though.

Let me pick your brain on last time though. Okay that it is lie, it won't be the last time.

The constant is that after getting a good group, I removed my action from the stock. Can't change that. And let's say I cannot make it back to the range before opening day. If either of the following two scenarios occur, do you think I will be dealing with a change in POI?

1) My gun passes the dollar bill test. I remove it form the stock and see absolutely no signs of wear from the stock moving.

2) My gun FAILS the dollar bill test, and there are slight wear marks inside the stock. I install teflon shims per your example. Gun then passes the dollar bill test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.