Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

John Nosler' Bullet

Old 10-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default John Nosler' Bullet

It saddened me to learn that John Nosler has passed on. I did some thinking about what his innovation has meant to me. Reflecting led me to decide to celebrate his life by shooting his bullet into some juice jugs filled with water.

Here is a video of the celebration.

Here are some stills taken from the video of celebration.

The bullet penetrated through the 6 jugs, and was captured by the phone books. It penetrated about 5/8" into the phone book, and now weighs 242.7g.

The nosler bullet, is the only one of all the bullets tested this same way, that knocked over all 6 jugs, and the phone book stack.

We all, including myself, seem to welcome new technology, but when it comes to penetration, and shock, from a bullet available to muzzle loader shooters, perhaps the best was made 60 year ago.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 07-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice test and great idea. It is amazing to see how 60 year-old technology can stay with or even outperform modern tech. Hats off to Mr. Nosler!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

You do not get to recover to many Noslers but here is an example of two of the many that i have shot - actually the only two I have recovered from an animal....