Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Primers

Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

What about the use of Bore Butter instead of oil? I have been using that which is waxy and won't run into the breach plug. Also, what about the 777 primers, are they corrosive? I don't normally snap any primers before loading and haven't had any trouble, even when I used oil.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

I pop two primers and then swab with an alcohol patch, then a dry patch and then load. Works for me everytime.

Good luck in the woods this season pal.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off I dont Hunt with a (Clean Bore) and it's hard to think most do it and pop a cap or primer then load and go. Im more worried about where Im gonna hit then about moisture in the barrel.
As for (Shotguns) that wer'nt cleaned for 10 years, it's hard to believe there's no rust in the barrel. Steel is Steel, ML or Shotgun Barrel, they all rust, the same for SS Barrels.
(BP)
Old 10-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
What about the use of Bore Butter instead of oil? I have been using that which is waxy and won't run into the breach plug. Also, what about the 777 primers, are they corrosive? I don't normally snap any primers before loading and haven't had any trouble, even when I used oil.
I used Bore Butter for years and never had a problem with it. But depending on the temp inside or outside it stll will turn into a runny oil if it gets above a certain temp. When I used it in My Barrels I always ran a few patches down the barrel to clear most of it out befor loading and never had a problem with it not going off.
The same with the different oils I use, no problems with the firing, I think some people use way too much of either of them and that's where they have a problem when the stuff runs everywhere. Just run some dry patches through it and you should be fine. But if you use the stuff in excess then drying out the BP might be a good idea to be sure.
(BP)
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never saw a need to dirty up a clean barrel by firing primers. Prior to loading a clean barrel i run three patches down the barrel: A patch moistened with alcohol is followed by two dry patches. That tight patch on the end of the ramrod will push the oil out of the breechplug. It works for me.

i can see the concern about oil if one is shooting a traditional sidelock but not with an inline.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
First off I dont Hunt with a (Clean Bore) and it's hard to think most do it and pop a cap or primer then load and go. Im more worried about where Im gonna hit then about moisture in the barrel.
As for (Shotguns) that wer'nt cleaned for 10 years, it's hard to believe there's no rust in the barrel. Steel is Steel, ML or Shotgun Barrel, they all rust, the same for SS Barrels.
(BP)
I may have exagerated on the length of time but basically the method of cleaning when it came to my shotguns (2 Rem. 870's and an Ithca) was the next shot, be it one or two or however many years down the road, and almost never cleaned them with solvent or anything. I was surprised myself when I finally cleaned them this summer how good they looked. No rust. And with some Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner all the fouling, Plastic and all, came right out.Believe it or not, they still shine like new.

Last edited by pluckit; 10-29-2010 at 11:59 PM.