Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hornady sst 250 low drag field report

Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems to me that most every one will agree there are better performing bullets available than the sst/shockwave. The 5 deer i killed with the sst are dead and eaten. However, the autopsies of these deer revealed so so bullet performance, and there was quite a lot of trailing necessary. So i switched to Nosler. Now, them bullet really put the hurt on deer, and the autopsies revealed amazing incredible tissue destruction.

Another bullet i have used on deer, is the 270g Gold Dot/Deep Curl. They did a number on several deer. It simply amazes me how they smuck deer. Lest the blunt nose of these bullet lead one to believe they are not a long range bullet, the longest kill made by these bullet was somewhere over 215 yard, and less than 230 yard. I am unable to report on the 'blood trail' left by these bullet, because no deer has made a 'trail'. This year the bullet nailed a deer at a few paces over 100 yard; there was no trail.

The irony here is the Gold Dot/Deep Curl bullets are costing me about $0.50 per shot including sabot. The sst/shockwave bullet depending on store/shipping etc., would cost any where from $0.60 to $0.75 per shot, and even up to a dollar per shot.

The 300g xtp works good at killing deer for me, and 3 have fallen to this bullet.

The next deer i kill this year will be with a 300g Deep Curl. For the money, i just don't see there is a better bullet than the Gold Dot/Deep Curl. If there is a better bang for the buck, i don't know about it. If money is no object, this bullet is still better than most, and myself, i cannot think of good reasons to spend more money and use one of them 'premium' bullet. If i knew of good reasons to spend more money, on a bullet other than the Deep Curl, i would certainly do it; i have money i haven't even spent yet.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
SecondChance

I would have to agree that the SST and FTX are the most accurate bullets that I have shot from my various ML's. But, I posed this questions several posts back. Should we be shooting the most accurate or the bullet that proves to have the best terminal performance. I prefer and try to shoot the bullet that offers the best terminal performance, yet has very good accuracy.

I have always felt shooting the MOST accurate is great for paper, gongs, and competition, but I am will to give up a small amount of accuracy for terminal performance. I want the terminal performance because I might not always make the perfect shot in a hunting situations.
And again, I agree with you. What I was saying, but maybe not being understood is that I will strive to get the most accurate round possible but yet with enough terminal performance that it is a DRT if possible. I would gladly give up 1-2 inch accuracy that I like at extended ranges to be able to get the performance I need. I just meant that the SST's give me the best of both worlds in what I am needing for what I am doing. I just have a hard time going against what I have strived for for so many years, and continue to do within my job daily, to get something that I know I need to get te job done.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I killed 4 deer with the 250gr SST.2 were DRT,2 I had to track. I was not happy with the inconsistancy,and switched to Noslers,end of story.I have a lifetime supply.

Charlie