Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hornady sst 250 low drag field report

Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've used the 250 grain SST bullets for several years: In the vast majority of kills i have made the bullet expanded well: Every animal that was hit in the right place with the SST bullet died within 50 yards: They were usually bang flops. Yep, sometimes they exit and sometimes they do not; those that did exit made a big hole.

There is a difference between the SST and the Shockwave bullets: The 250 grain Shockwave has a solid yellow plastic tip and the current 250 grain SST has a soft red tip: i have used both bullets extensively on hogs. There may be a difference in the way these bullets expand. IME: the Shockwave exits more often.

Then there is the bonded Shockwave bullet. That bullet should not be used on whitetail deer because it will probably not expand.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
IMO if you only have 1 or 2 deer licenses in your pocket, why not just spend the extra $$ and buy a quality bullet? Our hunt is 9 days and normally i only have a deer tag or elk tag in my pocket. A $1 a bullet is super cheap for hunting considering how little i fire during hunting season. Sure a buck a shot is expensive for paper shooting but when it comes hunting time, its cheap.
I agree, to a point. I have shot all the 50cal rounds I can get my hands on from Shockwaves, Hotshots, Platnium Tips, Barnes Expanders, XTP's, Power Belts, even handcast in sabots. None group as well as the SST's in my weapon. I have a 9 shot group at home on my wall from 200yds that with 3-250grn-SST's Low Drag,red sabot, 3-250grn-SST's regular,black sabot, and 3 Powerbelts with 100 grn 777 loose grouped c/c 9-1/4"!!!!! The SST's stayed with in 6". I could not begin to get that from open tip rounds from my weapon.
I am very pleased to see that other people are willing to spend both the time and resources to achieve the very best their weapon has to offer for them. I strive for the best my weapons have to offer to me and the game they are being used for. But you have to try them all for what works, not for what they cost.

Last edited by SecondChance; 10-20-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

SecondChance

I would have to agree that the SST and FTX are the most accurate bullets that I have shot from my various ML's. But, I posed this questions several posts back. Should we be shooting the most accurate or the bullet that proves to have the best terminal performance. I prefer and try to shoot the bullet that offers the best terminal performance, yet has very good accuracy.

I have always felt shooting the MOST accurate is great for paper, gongs, and competition, but I am will to give up a small amount of accuracy for terminal performance. I want the terminal performance because I might not always make the perfect shot in a hunting situations.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with you Sabotloader. I gladly give up an inch-and-a-half group with a bullet I have little confidence in for a three-inch group with Gold Dots/Deep Curls.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
SecondChance

I would have to agree that the SST and FTX are the most accurate bullets that I have shot from my various ML's. But, I posed this questions several posts back. Should we be shooting the most accurate or the bullet that proves to have the best terminal performance. I prefer and try to shoot the bullet that offers the best terminal performance, yet has very good accuracy.

I have always felt shooting the MOST accurate is great for paper, gongs, and competition, but I am will to give up a small amount of accuracy for terminal performance. I want the terminal performance because I might not always make the perfect shot in a hunting situations.
That is an excellent point, and one I probably should have thought of when narrowing down my selection for a bullet. I passed on Barnes because they were not grouping well in my Omega. But the last group I got from them was 3.5 inches out of a fouled bore, so perhaps that was good enough. I zeroed with the Harvester Scorpions instead. I guess I'll find out how they do on game.

On another note, that is disheartening to hear about the SSTs. In my 12 ga slug gun, they are the ONLY sabot slug that I have shot (of about 6 types) that will group worth a darn. 2-3 inches with iron sights, vs 6+ with the others.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

If it took 20 or so shots for it to start shooting tight, my guess would be a thicker sabot is needed.

Man after 2 days of shooting and reloading for the 30-06, i'll take muzzle loading over that centerfire crap! What a pain!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
IMO if you only have 1 or 2 deer licenses in your pocket, why not just spend the extra $$ and buy a quality bullet? Our hunt is 9 days and normally i only have a deer tag or elk tag in my pocket. A $1 a bullet is super cheap for hunting considering how little i fire during hunting season. Sure a buck a shot is expensive for paper shooting but when it comes hunting time, its cheap.
actually in my end of the woods the sst is right up the middle for price. i decided to use it this year because i have NEVER gone 2 seasons using the same bullet. i have literally killed deer with every single offering from barnes, nosler, traditions, precision rifles qt and dead center offerings, tc and black mountain castings. so it was about time i gave hornady a try. to be honest i would give them a passing grade to, as they still did the job albeit not the way i wanted it done. i am sticking with them till the end of the season, but i am going back to the barnes expander. i have found the expander to be the most accurate sabot, also they gave me the biggest exit wound (big as my fist) and they provide extremly deap penatration considering their expanding diameter.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are so easy to kill I don't care what I shoot 'em with. Whether it's 75gr HPs sizzling outta my 25-06 way fast, or a lumbering ML bullet, it just doesn't matter. Whether the bullet was a perfect mushroom double lung full penetration, or it just exploded in the chest cavity. I look more for straight shooting and less for "100% weight retention AMAZING!!!!!"
Old 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Big Z

Man! you do not shoot the same deer I do... there are times they absolutely amaze me at what they took and what they can sometimes do afterwards. Adrenalen can really surprise you once in awhile - especially when you least expect it.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Barnes MZ expander is an excellent choice on any size game in my opinion. It's the only good ML bullet Barnes makes.

The 275grn Parker ballistic Extremes are right there with the barnes expanders as well.

Though both bullets will do great, the Lehigh design has proven to me just better. And it's a concept that's hard for people to understand and except.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.