Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope ring blues

Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default Scope ring blues

I logged in 3 hours today working with the CVA Apex 30-06. This isnt a muzzleloader obviously as of right now but i was close to mounting the scope on the 50cal muzzy barrel.

After hours and hours of shooting/reloading/looking things over i was red hot. I think i knocked 5 years off my life after today

You know what they say about cheap scope rings? ITS THE TRUTH. Dont waste your time with cheap POS rings. I switched out scopes, adjusted powder charges and the rifle kept throwing shots all over the place.

Well i got the screw driver out and went to make sure the rings were right. BINGO! Cheap piece of crap aluminum rings "$10 made in china" specials were loose again.

Thankfully someone off another forum when they gave me some truglow sights, he also threw in some Leupold high rings. I mounted them up, took a few shots at 50 to adjust the sights and then went to 100 yards and printed just a touch over 1" group. Not bad as i was using 52.2 grains H380 rather than my normal load of 52.2 grains H4350 with the 165gr Hornady Boat tails.

Rifle, Muzzleloader, Rimfire, BUY GOOD RINGS!
It seriously is a small investment in the end.

Now i can sit back and relax and know the rifle will be good for the Hunt.

Ahhhhhh hell! I pulled the scope off my Optima so now i have to go and resight that! Man i hate that.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally have been purchasing cheap scope rings when you compare them to a Warne or Leupold. They are Tradition Rifle Company rings in quick release. They had them on sale for $16.99 once so I got a set. I have put them on, took them off, and so far they are holding up just fine. So well in fact that I bought three more sets of them. Warnes were $59.99 and I was just getting sick of paying more for the rings then I was the scopes I was shooting them with.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

I used to always buy warne, they are a good scope ring/mount set up.

Im not sure what these rings came off of, made in china and $9.99 price tag but when tightening them up, they kept eating into the soft aluminum and kept loosening up. Horrible head ache! But i am finally cooling down now LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's cheap and then there's Really CHEAP! I think you got the really really cheap ones.
As for your cheap rings MD cant you find a Sponser other than one from CHINA! that will tighten you up
Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Back through the years when I had the shop about 20 % of the problems people brought in were related to those aluminium rings. almost any of the steel rings will do a fine job those aluminium ones will eventually cause the person who buys them a problem sometimes one that is difficult to pin down.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Breechplug
There's cheap and then there's Really CHEAP! I think you got the really really cheap ones.
As for your cheap rings MD cant you find a Sponser other than one from CHINA! that will tighten you up
LOL nah, i hardly ever am able to use a scope so why go through all the trouble?

Its all good to go now! Now to try some 4350 and see how she groups
Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used lots of cheap rings without any major issues, but I've noticed that when putting them on and tightening them, it's not rare for me to strip out the screws, or I even had the screw break through the top of a ring once. However, if I put them on and got them installed, they seem to have worked fine.

That being said, after buying a set of Burris Signature Zee rings, I don't ever see myself buying anything else. I'd really like to have a set for all of my rifles. The only reason I don't is I can't see spending $30-50 on a set of rings to replace a set that's already working just fine. Most of my cheap rings are Weavers aluminum ones. I do have one set that came with a Center Point scope that I used and I'm sure they are about the worst rings you can ever get. However, for the 50 rounds I've put through the gun with them on there they have done fine. They really worry me, and I'm almost tempted to change them, but I figure as long as they are working, why worry about it. The reason I used them is the quality set of medium rings I had were too low. I didn't have any high rings and the local stores I checked didn't have anything in high rings except Weaver Grand Slams and they got horrible reviews. So I decided to just use those rings that came with the Center Point.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

i found the scope box along with the other box the rings came in. These rings came with a Ncstar scope. I dont know what the scope looked like but if they put them rings in there with the scope, the scope most likely wasnt worth a damn LOL.

I ordered a set of the durasight QD rings this morning.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

You know what they say about cheap scope rings? ITS THE TRUTH. Dont waste your time with cheap POS rings. I switched out scopes, adjusted powder charges and the rifle kept throwing shots all over the place.
i install a lot of scopes and rings: Usually sight in the rifles too. The Weaver, Leupold and other rings that are made in China are trash. Was having to spend too much time with a lapping bar to get them aligned: Finally stopped installing them. Leupold and Weaver used to make some rings in the US but i am not sure of that any more. Some of their cartons do not give country of origin. Guys bring me guns with bent scopes from misaligned made in China rings.

i prefer Millett rings. Warne rings are good too.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't like the Burris Signature Zee rings? Those are by far the best I've used, or seen in the under $100 price range. I've also tried Millets, but the ones I had were the vertical split rings and those things sucked. I still have them as spares, but they aren't very good. Warne's do seem to be good though.