Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How's the hunting going so far?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

The gun I plan to have in my hand for our 13 Nov deer opener is the .58 TC/GM Hawken. I'll be sitting in a box stand looking at a small 1/3 acre food plot with a feeder out at 73 yards from the stand in a group of small Oaks.

Here's the plot as viewed from the box. The far end of the plot is 97 yards out.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Its bow season here. We had a couple cold weekends during the season so far but I had to work. Going to go either Sat or Sunday even though the temps are going to be in the 70's.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Semisane
The gun I plan to have in my hand for our 13 Nov deer opener is the .58 TC/GM Hawken. I'll be sitting in a box stand looking at a small 1/3 acre food plot with a feeder out at 73 yards from the stand in a group of small Oaks.

Here's the plot as viewed from the box. The far end of the plot is 97 yards out.

Looks good. Nov 13 is when our Rifle season starts here. I have a Refuge hunt that starts tomorrow though ,so That will help me hang on til the regular season. Good luck with your hunt. That 58 will definitely do the job. And don't forget about April.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Hunting yet (Archery Season started 10/16) still have one more Farm to Pick (Grapes) then I'll be a different Man (Man vs Deer) I dont get serious untill about the 7th of November when them Big Boys get Moving and then all the other Bucks from all over start to move looking for the Ladys.
Also I dont shoot anything less than P&Y for Archery, usually the Wife fills the Freezer with Meat Does and whatever Buck she decides to take, so we have Pleanty of Meat so why shoot a lesser Buck when that Big Boy MAY walk by. Last Season I waited untill the end (Late ML Season) and I still had a pocket Full of Tags) got 5 Deer in the first 4 Days of Late ML Season (10 Days Total) cant get to picky when there's only 10 days left.
As I get Older and Wiser things Change as a Hunter, Im not worried if I get a Buck during Archery Season even though I pass up around 30 Bucks a Year, some good ones too, but if there not what Im looking for I let em walk, so what, I could have, but what does it matter if I got one or not, if it was'nt to my liking that's all that should matter. In my Younger days the Deer never had a Chance, but now they do.
For me now Hunting Season is a gathering of Good Friends, Bucks in the Rut, Winter, another Year Older and just being able to still do the things I can, that;s what matters the most. So as long as my Hunting Season is still going and I can be there to do it, that's all that matters. It's Much More FUN to Hunt and be there, then to Not be Here. So Enjoy FALL, Life and the Deer, nothing last forever;
(BP)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't be that selective Breechplug. For us, any 8-pointer over two years old is fair game. Does are no problem, but I usually take the first 8-pointer over two years old that that I see. After that I won't shoot another buck unless it's clearly "better" than the one I've already taken. If I do take a second one I leave anything else that may be roaming out lease to someone else. Horns don't mean all that much to me anyway. They're exciting for sure. But I get excited when I decide to shoot a doe too.

I agree, these days it's all about the hunt, companionship with hunting buddies, and BS-ing around the skinning shed and cook shack. The harvest is important, but not critical.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-19-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I can't be that selective Breechplug. For us, any 8-pointer over two years old is fair game. Does are no problem, but I usually take the first 8-pointer over two years old that that I see. After that I won't shoot another buck unless it's clearly "better" than the one I've already taken. If I do take a second one I leave anything else that may be roaming out lease to someone else. Horns don't mean all that much to me anyway. They're exciting for sure. But I get excited when I decide to shoot a doe too.

I agree, these days it's all about the hunt, companionship with hunting buddies, and BS-ing around the skinning shed and cook shack. The harvest is important, but not critical.
Our Tags are for (Archery or MLing) so if I dont see a Good Buck for Archery I can use it for Late ML Season. If I fill it with a lessr Buck during Archery Season and I see a Good Buck during our Late ML Season Im screwed.....also if I dont fill My Gun Season Buck Tag I can also use it for Late ML Season, it also goes to a Buck or Doe Tag, so now if I have My Archery Season Buck Tag and My Gun Season Buck Tag I can get 2 Bucks during Late ML Season,,,,,plus during Late ML Season I see way more Bucks so I like to SAVE My Tags if you know what I mean.
Dont get me wrong, I get Excited shooting a Doe, but it means more to me to get a Doe or Lesser Buck during our Late ML Season as by then the Deer are super spooked and if you can get anything your doing good! It just means more then if you know aht I mean. And Yes the Adrenalin is always there when I pull the trigger, it last for a few hours weather it be a Buck or a Doe.....it just means more to me to take one with a ML with only 10 Days to go, if you can get any Deer by then where I live your doing Good.
(BP)
Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chet, congrats on the game kills.

First two days of Ft. Sill muzzleloader season was a wash for me. Sat in a tree stand by a pond two mornings in a row and listened to the deer and hogs drink water, splash and play around in the dark. Come shooting light and they were all gone. Still hunted on Monday until about 5:30 pm then watched a pond till dark-nothing.

Still hunted yesterday until i was worn out then watched a game plot until dark. Six does came in but they were outside of of my comfort range. The full moon is not helping anything. Oh well, one muzzleloader season i hunted for eight days before getting a deer.

OK muzzleloder season comes in on Sat: Will probably go to one of our places, get in a stand and watch a game trail. Then again, i may watch one of my feeders.

The first hog in this photo is Osama bin Laden, Jr. He looks just like his Dad. Only Dad is much larger. Been after OBL for years. Two weeks ago i could have put a barrage of .223 bullets up his bum from my AR-15 but he deserves an honorable death by muzzleloader. i'll either get the sucker or one of us will die of old age.

The hog under the feeder is coming in during the day. To give you some idea of his/her size; the feeder is a 20 gallon garbage can. That one may be a candidate for sausage.
Attached Thumbnails How's the hunting going so far?-osama-jr.-medium-.jpg   How's the hunting going so far?-generic-hog-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by falcon; 10-20-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Spike

Busted! Big doe came in behind me, I ducked down to take out my ears (hearing aids) and turn around. The last I saw of her was that big white tail waving bye-bye. That camo burlap I was using for a blind just isn't opaque enough. Stopped at the big store on the way home for a proper ground blind. I drooled over the nice ladder stands for a bit, but passed. They're too heavy to be portable and I'll be darned if I'll pay that much so some idiot (nice word) can steal it.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Moose, there's always another day. Maybe you need to tie a string to your ears that hangs down to your waiste so you can yank them out with less movement.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dec 1 for ML season here in NE. Been doing some spot/stalk mule deer with my bow. I've gotten up on several, too bad I've missed 3. Had a pin off for 2 misses and no excuses for the 3rd one ML season's difficulty will only be limited to seeing what I want to kill. After that, it's full blooded choctaw injun sneakiness and consider it a done deal Doubt I'll do firearm season. Limited to 2 either sex tags and unlimited antlerless only, and using tags for antlers and not adventure kinda loses its appeal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.