Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady 300 gr Mag Bullet?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Spike

Default Hornady 300 gr Mag Bullet?

After some advice on here I replaced the TC Mag Express 300 gr sabots that I've been using for years with some Hornady 300 gr XTP .452 Mag bullets with some Harvester crushed rib sabots.
My question is: The Hornady Mags , have one ring just below the hollow point of the bullet. But the "Mag" TC bullets that I use to use had 2 rings below the hollow point on the bullet.
Their both called mags and their both Hornady bullets I believe. So I'm alittle confused here about which are which.....I thought I was buying the same bullet as the TC mags till I opened the box when I got home and compared the two.. I still will use them as I bought a hundred of them. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Spike

the ones with the one ring are hornadys mag which are designed for mag pistols and for the higher velocities of muzzleloaders 1100-2100 fps the ones with the two rings are hornady std 800-1700 fps.they should shoot the same but you will actual have to shoot them to be sure.tc probaly just put mag on the package for marketing or there could of been a production change you would have to contact hornady on that.both are great and work fine but the one ring mags were designed for the higher velocities of are rifles remember these were originally designed for handguns
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Spike

Thanks, Yes I know they were originally designed for handguns.....But they sure do work great on deer!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

But the "Mag" TC bullets that I use to use had 2 rings below the hollow point on the bullet.

Those are the 300 grain .430 XTP bullets.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Spike

Well, once again ,thanks for your guys help.... I went with the Hornady .452 300 gr XTP Mags with the Harvaster crushed ribbed sabots in front of 100 gr PP......For years I've always sighted in 1.5 inches high at 50 yds and it does well . I think I got it, dont pay attention to the 2 flyers in upper right hand side of the group : ) ......I'm ready for deer season now!
Attached Thumbnails Hornady 300 gr Mag Bullet?-1102001629a.jpg