Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When do you draw the line and just Say NO?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When do you draw the line and just Say NO?

So your Hunting and a Great Buck (Antelope, Mule Deer, Elk, ect) is standing at 200yds and He's feeding broadside, you want him bad, the wind is calm, do you shoot or wait untill he comes closer or untill another day?
What is your Maximun Distance where you feel comfortable taking Game and why? I know anything at anytime can happen, but if you feel confident you can make the shot how far will you shoot?
For me I put the distance at around 175yds+ or - and this is of course with a Scoped ML. I can do 1"1/2 groups at 200yds so I feel confident I can make that shot. But first I consider the Wind, What the Animal is doing (say feeding broadisde and is relaxed) if all that comes into play and I have a Solid Rest I'll take that shot.
Also it does'nt matter to me if it's a Meat Doe or a Big Buck, I give em both the same respect they deserve. How about you?
(BP)
Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

i feel comfortable off hand out to 150, open sights mind you. Off my sling stix, maybe 200 but i'd have to practice at that range
Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

At this time I would not take a shot at over 150 yards or so but I have guns that are very capable of ethical 200 yard shots. Those big conicals carry a lot of energy downrange and if I did enough practicing at those distances to have the trajectory figured out I know the gun would do its part.
Art
Old 10-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Personally... because I can not practice at those kind of distances, I would limit my shots to 125 yards with a scope. With open sights, 100 yards but I would prefer even close. So I would have to wait and hope it comes my way, or wait and hunt another day.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Personally... because I can not practice at those kind of distances, I would limit my shots to 125 yards with a scope. With open sights, 100 yards but I would prefer even close. So I would have to wait and hope it comes my way, or wait and hunt another day.
+1 . My range also. I don't have any place to practice those distances either.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I stay under 200 yards in ideal conditions. I wouldnt take the shot. You can do everything right, but still have that crazy flier that goes wild and way low to the left.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also it doesn't matter to me if it's a Meat Doe or a Big Buck, I give em both the same respect they deserve
Totally agree Breechplug. I took a few stupid shots in my younger and brasher days. But I grew up and now don't take a shot unless I know I can make it. Usually a standing still deer. But never more than a slow walk.

I'm confortable out to 175 yards on a standing, relaxed deer with two or three of my scoped muzzleloaders if I have a good rest and perfect conditions. With iron sights or something like the scoped .54 round ball shooting Renegade my limit is closer to 100 yards. In the real world of pine woods/small food plot hunting, my longest shot on a deer in the last ten years with a muzzleloader was 88 yards. Passed a lot of longer shots on meat does, knowing I could get a closer shot tomorrow or next week.

i feel comfortable off hand out to 150
You're a better man than me MountainDevil. I would never attempt an off hand shot that far.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Totally agree Breechplug. I took a few stupid shots in my younger and brasher days. But I grew up and now don't take a shot unless I know I can make it. Usually a standing still deer. But never more than a slow walk.

I'm confortable out to 175 yards on a standing, relaxed deer with two or three of my scoped muzzleloaders if I have a good rest and perfect conditions. With iron sights or something like the scoped .54 round ball shooting Renegade my limit is closer to 100 yards. In the real world of pine woods/small food plot hunting, my longest shot on a deer in the last ten years with a muzzleloader was 88 yards. Passed a lot of longer shots on meat does, knowing I could get a closer shot tomorrow or next week.

Exactly Semisane, I also learned a lesson back in My younger days and we need not talk about it as Im sure you, me and many others have made the same mistake, some of us learned from it and other's have yet to.
I also strive to get as close as possible to game, but not too close, sometime too close is bad, I'd prefer 20-30 yds as the perfect shot. I also have waited for that closer shot on that Big Buck, but more times than any he never showed again and left me thinking if I should have, but I think back to that day when I was a younger fool, and it reminded me that I made the right decision even though I never got another chance. Just remember once you pull the trigger there's no turning back.
(BP)

You're a better man than me MountainDevil. I would never attempt an off hand shot that far.
Better than Me TOO MD, that's a Scope and Rest shot for Me!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have made a total of three long shots on game. A nice buck deer at 172 yards, a sow at just over 190 yards and another sow at just over 225 yards. If the wind is calm, a good rest is available and i feel up to it; a 200 yard shot may be taken, but most likely not. i have passed on many shots under 100 yards because something did not feel right.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i feel comfortable off hand out to 150, open sights mind you. Off my sling stix, maybe 200 but i'd have to practice at that range
You are just the best. That is why the sponsers are all falling all over themselves to get you to endorse them.
How about that video you made of the elk hunt last year when you guys were flock shooting into the middle of them hoping to hit something. That was precious.
Art

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.