Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When do you draw the line and just Say NO?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Where I hunt at I would never have anything more than a 100yrd shot. Just too thick where I am at and the fields near me aren't that big. Hunt the woods catching deer between bed and food

But would take the shot up to 75 yards open sights with my Hawkens no problem and beyond that with my scoped .45 also no problem.

I never get long distance shots and furthest shots taken in the past 5 or 6 yrs has been 45 yards.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

In Montana where I hunt your shots are an avg. of 150 yards. I know with my inline 200 yards or less I have no problem. I would even try 300 yards depending on the conditions. Now on my 270 I would go out to 400 yards. But I dont think we are talking about centerfire rifles. Now note that the range I go to goes out to 300 yards. I practice alot at 200 yards and can hit a 12 metal plate at 300 yards.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the first shot at an animal I try hard to get under 150. Most of the time a guy can. But I have seen animals hit that stayed on their feet even with a perfect shot. I can hit milk jugs out to 300 yards with my Renegade. I would only take that long of a shot ONLY if I had an animal wounded and needed to put another one into him. That happened to me with a mule deer in 2006. The buck was hit hard but would not go down. I hit him 4 out of 5 times at 175 yards. Since then I have switched to the Paper Patched 500 S&W bullet. So far I have not had to hit them more than one time and they are done. RON