Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

JB Bore Compound

Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

Default JB Bore Compound

wooowee! After years and years i finally found some at the small gun store in northern new mexico. It was less than $9 so my brother bought me a small tub as a thank you for helping him on his bow hunt.

Smells like my dads old service truck after all the grease and oil had been spilled into the service bed lol. It took me 2 days to figure out why that smell kept pulling at my heart strings.. Good memories.

We did my Optima with 80 passes and then following up with their other polishing compound. Smooth and shiny afterward and since i hadn't Bore Coated it yet, i went and did so last night after running a few de-greasing patches down the bore.

Shes all ready to go now.

Did the .50cal cva mountain stalker which had a TON of lead build up towards the muzzle. Im not sure how many passes i did through it, a couple hundred for certain but i got it cleaned out nicely and ready for bore coat once i get some more in.

Took me 4 tight patches to get that mtn stalker lead free.

Good product
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have been useing it for years on handgun and long guns. It is the lead bullet shooters best friend
Old 10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I use it all the time. Good stuff.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never really had to use JB's, Im a sticker when it comes to cleaning and keeping My Barrels Clean and Shinny. I thought it was mostly for minor rust, tight bores, imperfections ect, is it also recommended as a once in a while jsut do it, or only if you have lead or palstic build up or minor rust? If you have none of the above why would you need it? Also would'nt frequent applications of it wear out the bore and rifling?
(BP)
Old 10-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

i needed to get a bunch of lead build up out of the mtn stalker bore + dyna coat recommends this process to clean the bore down to metal and then apply the bore coat. We'll see how the Optima comes out.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

good lord! These barrels dont look shiny with the naked eye but when i drop a .40cal case down the bore and shine a tiny led light, wow! It looks like black chrome inside of the barrel. Simply amazing stuff to say the least. Just finished my brothers cva hawken and i dont think ive ever seen that barrel so clean on the inside.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i needed to get a bunch of lead build up out of the mtn stalker bore + dyna coat recommends this process to clean the bore down to metal and then apply the bore coat. We'll see how the Optima comes out.
MD, what's Dyna Coat?
(BP)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

JB offers two versions. One is less abrasive and safer to use occasionally. I think one is labeled as a bore shine and the other is listed as a polish.

Personally i give every new bore a good polish and use ME Copper Cream after a few hundred rounds. Its one of the least abrasive and removes lead, copper or sabot residue with ease.

I follow up with Hoppes (BH209 only) and ME Bore Conditioner for routine cleaning which seems to keep them shiny clean. I dont recommend using any polish on a regular basis.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Breechplug
MD, what's Dyna Coat?
(BP)
well it was called Ultra Coatings but they changed the name. Its Bore Coat. Gets rid of the crud ring with T7 and other powders, super easy clean up, less fouling/lead/copper build up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6jwPfZzc7Q
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

send me some I lost my jar some where in the middle of an move. :/