Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega: To cut or not to cut?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega: To cut or not to cut?

I had decided to get my Omega QLA cut off to see if it improved my conical shooting.

However, took it to a gunsmith and he looked at it and said he wasn't sure it would help. The reason: They tapered the rifling back from the QLA since they could not crown them. He as able to take a 1/2 inch rod and put it down the barrel. It didn't wedge until it was about 3 & 1/2 " down the barrel! So he felt like unless you cut it back to the normal riflings, it probably wouldn't help.

Now I don't know what to do. It does shoot FPBs and Thors decent, but no other conicals, so I don't know if I want to risk doing this and it not helping or making it worse. And I am certainly not going to cut it off 3 & 1/2 inches.

What do guys you think?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My honest opinion is to save the Omega as it is, an excellent rifle for shooting saboted bullets. If you want to shoot lead conicals I would advise you to get a rifle that is known for shooting them well. Then you will have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

Personally - i would not cut it.

I would verify with TC that what your Gunsmith found is correct? I do find those thoughts odd though.

I just did a couple of tests on my Omega...

I put a 52 cal jag in the QLA with a thin patch. I could not feel any change anywhere in the barrel in the amount of pressure that it takes to push it down.

I know a visual inspection is worthless but i do not see any taper.

Second test - I pushed a .503/460 grain Bull Shop down all the way way know change there either.

The one thing that I did not do was start and pull the conical then push one to the bottom and measure - then measure both wit a mic..

Same results on my Triumph...

I really think I would see what TC offers - you might have to be a bit instant, but maybe you can get results... althought this is probably the worst time of the year...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Leave the gun alone. Use the FPB or Thor bullets.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Banned

why not just update to something like the new Wolf or optima that will shoot conicals? Heck even the Accura is only 260 from midway
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Buddy, CVA...All THE WAY!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you've a lifetime warranty, so if it sucks, make 'em fix it
Old 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
why not just update to something like the new Wolf or optima that will shoot conicals? Heck even the Accura is only 260 from midway
Once again an answer to a question not asked.
Typical.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

but its the easiest way rather than investing in having a gun smith cut the barrel and recrown it professionally.

And if it doesnt work, not only did you invest in a gunsmith but you now just added the cost of a new barrel.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

txhunter58

Forgot to say...rather than cutting it - might just sit on it for awhile there may be another choice out for a full bore conical that will could work very well from that gun.

Still if the Gun Smith's description is correct - i would get in touch with a Tech from TC and get it in his hands... They have replaced barrels in the past

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.