Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega: To cut or not to cut?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

It is your rifle, but if it was mine it would already be cut off!! Have it your way and enjoy.

I wouldn't even consider taking it to a Smith, I would cut it off with a hacksaw and true it up with a file if necessary. Then I would re crown with a head of Large Brass screw or carriage bolt and grinding compound.

I have done several this way before acquiring a lathe.

Have fun,

Ken
Central NY
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've yet to find a bullet of any type my Omega would not shoot well with the right load.I'd leave it as is.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
why not just update to something like the new Wolf or optima that will shoot conicals? Heck even the Accura is only 260 from midway
yea! why not update and downgrade at the same time.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cvaisjunk
yea! why not update and downgrade at the same time.
spammer
Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I am from the old school of never altering a rifle. That's why I still shoot #11 caps in my wolverines. I just hate to alter them from their factory standards. If the rifle is that bad, contact T/C. If you want a conical shooter then be happy with the Thors and the FPB's. Those are good projectiles.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
I think you've a lifetime warranty, so if it sucks, make 'em fix it
I have sent it back to them twice, and they say there is nothing wrong with the barrel, but the gun is built to shoot sabots, not conicals, so they won't replace the barrel.

Funny though, when I bought the gun, their web site said "shoots sabots and conicals alike" They have taken that off their website and will now tell you that they are sabot guns.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
but its the easiest way rather than investing in having a gun smith cut the barrel and recrown it professionally.

And if it doesnt work, not only did you invest in a gunsmith but you now just added the cost of a new barrel.
I found an old school gunsmith that would cut it and crown it for $75. Would be worth it if it made a difference.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
I've yet to find a bullet of any type my Omega would not shoot well with the right load.I'd leave it as is.
Sounds like you got one that will do well with conicals. My brother has one he bought at the same time that will as well. However, it is pretty well known that some will not. Call T/C and they will tell you the same.

I would love to get it to shoot 460 gr no excuse conicals and some other big, pure lead conicals. If you want to give it a go, I will ship it to you and let you try. But,let me warn you, with no excuses, many loads I was getting 5-6 inches at 25 yards, with some bullets going through the target sideways! Due, I think to an inexact QLA.

That is with trying pyrodex RS, pyrodex select, 777 (ffg and fffg), APP, and Blackmag. I tried everything from 85 to 120 grains of powder, with or without a single and double wad. Tried many other big lead conicals. The only one that would shoot 1/2 way decent was T/C maxiballs, but the FPBs will still outshoot them by 2-3 inches at 100 yards

Hunting with FPBs and Thors is OK, but it sure is expensive to shoot them all year. Would be nice if I could find a cheaper bullet that flew well, was cheaper, and was a good hunting bullet.

And the problem with keeping it as a sabot gun is that I don't shoot sabots. My main hunting is in Colorado, so to be consistent, I just use conicals here in Texas.