Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A test of humility

Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default A test of humility

In a different thread, we got into a bit of a discussion about shooting off hand. I am the first to admit that I am not that good at it. One reason I hunt from blinds, tree stands and places where I have something to lean into or on. Enough said.

To put my money where my mouth is, I used 3x5 index cards. On these cards I drew an X. I taped them to a target and using a range finder, set them at exactly 25 yards according to my range finder.

• Rifle: .50 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle 1-48 twist
  • Powder: Goex 3f 70 grains Goex 4f used at the primer
  • Projectile: home cast roundball .490 diameter 177 grains (give or take) and a .018 100% cotton Pillow Tick patch with moose milk.
  • Sights: Open and primitive style
  • Distance: 25 yards
  • Weather: in the 60's and very windy, but sunny. Blue sky. The wind was going left to right.
Prior to testing, I swabbed the barrel with an alcohol patch and then a dry one. I wiped the pan, frizzen, and flint off. This would be the last time I swabbed the rifle for the entire test. To be fair to the test, I decided to shoot one shot at the bottom of the targets to check the sights, my skills, and the ignition times.

And so the first part of the test would start. I flipped a coin and the bench rest won. So I started on the bench rest.

My free shot at the bottom confirmed the sights were dead on. Ignition was a little slow. I checked the flint and it was loose. The Thomas Fuller English flint was tightened. I then shot three more. As for the group I really could not ask for more.

I actually did shoot one shot at the bottom of that card but missed the card by quite a bit. I could tell I was unsteady. Ignition was fine, so I changed the stance I was using and also the placement of my hands of the stock. I brought the off hand up, closer to the trigger guard. This seemed to steady the rifle much more for me. I then fired three more. For me, I was pleased with that. I had done this test before and missed the card. So hitting it three times was a treat.

Observations... running out of powder in the can. Down to the last dregs. Also running out of powder in the pan flask, so I am putting much less in the pan. Ignition does not seem to suffer. I am not sure what the bottom of the can is going to mean to accuracy of the loads.

I then decided that since I normally shoot off shooting sticks when I hunt, or a rope sling, I got out the shooting sticks and the bucket I normally sit on. A new card was placed.

I aimed the first shot at the bottom of the card and noticed I was moving some. So I needed to concentrate better. Shots 2&3 were good for me. Why #4 did what it did, I have no idea. Although that was the last of the powder out of the can. In fact it was just under the 70 grain load. More like a 65 grain load of powder. Also the amount in the pan was what was in the flask and what I could shake out of the 3f can as well.

Over all I know my off hand shooting is bad. That is one reason I seldom if ever any more shoot that. Going back to the deer target post... one reason I said, I would take only a high percentage shot. As I know my skills off hand could be better.

If you have a chance try this test. It is a lot of fun and a real eye opener for some.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

That free hand group is pretty darn good Cayugad.

I'm taking the peep sighted TC/GM .58 Hawken to the lease this weekend for a final sight check before the season. It's going to be my opening day gun. I'll give those 3x5 cards a try and report back.

But I can tell you for sure, on opening day that gun is going to be resting on something if I get a chance to pull the trigger.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-30-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I'm with Semi Dave, I wouldn't sell my self short on a shooting position that you don't practice a bunch. From what I can see, any of those last three off hand shots would have been a bad day for any deer!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad at all. And a fun way to spend the afternoon as well. I bet if you shot more often freehand those groups would tighten up a bit. (The same could be said for all of us) Maybe use some of those "boring" rifles you have that always cut the center out.

Fairly often I run into guys at the range who brag about their groups and I always challenge them to shoot a group off hand or sitting on the ground. Normally after about 2 shots they stop because they haven't hit the paper...
Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Cay,
that looks like a fun experiment.those all look like dead deer shots to me,especially when I remind my self your shootin at a 3x5 card.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I missed the first shot when I shot for the bottom of the card. And now when you consider this is 25 yards... what if it were 60 or even further? Although from past hunting experience I will say one thing. When it came to actually shooting at deer, I suddenly seem rock solid when shooting free hand. But this does tell me I have a place that really needs attention.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Although from past hunting experience I will say one thing. When it came to actually shooting at deer, I suddenly seem rock solid when shooting free hand.
I experience the same thing Cayugad. Never get buck fever - just seem to suddenly become totally focused and steady.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Looks good to me! Nice groups! Shooting free handed can most certainly be a humbling experience. I shot my 1st elk 70 yards with a scoped 3006 free handed and hit right where I was aiming. One technique I found that works best for me is the moment I get the sight or cross hairs on the targetwhere I want to hit, I squeeze it off. On the elk, I had counted points through the scope then brought the cross hairs down and right. I find if I try to keep it on target or wait too long, that is when I start moving too much.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

You are exactly right Colorado. The best shots that I have ever made is when I'm not thinking about it. Just pulling the gun up and shooting. Once we start over thinking and waiting, the more we wiggle and more than likely miss the target. You talk to anyone that shoots skeet/trap and they do the same thing. Pull the gun up and pull the trigger.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

First, that is very respectable shooting. I believe most people would be surprised how difficult a free hand shot actually is. 90%+ shots seem to be taken from a solid bench rest for grouping purposes. I like the challenge of free hand and believe it is not a skill practiced enough. Your rifle can make the shot, but can the shooter? Again, nice shooting.

I have to agree with Colorado. The old saying "squeeze the trigger until the gun surprises you", never worked for me. I try and put pressure on the trigger to minimize finger movement. Then "slap" the trigger when I get the crosshairs on the mark. The process has worked well for me as you do not have to hold for such a long time on the vitals. Just get it in position and kill it. I actually first heard about this "slapping" technique from a Delta Force Sniper book. Shots need to be accurate and at an exact time. The key, only practice can make you accurate and you need to be extremely familiar with your weapon to avoid flinching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.