Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A test of humility

Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would imagine that you hit just off the paper on the left side near the corner, looks like you were a lil low left on all of them..just a guess..
those are good shots for free hand, even at 25 yards..if you tripled that..be 75 yards and an inch or two
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Working Cayugad's Fun Problem

Today was all messed up - so i thought i would go relieve my stress...

First off I had planned to go scout another elk spot but late last night Terry said I need the pickup (not your pickup - THE pickup) tomorrow afternoon. She knew - I was going scouting, well I told here Tuesday or Wednesday... Well, what am I suppose to do - sure Terry you can use it!!! She did not need it till noon, but heck that is right in the middle of the day!

So, I got up early this morning loaded and hauled two loads of odds and ends to the landfill, another thing she wanted done that I was supose to do back in June...

Well when I got done with that it was only 9:00 - so I grabbed the Renegade and head to the farm to complete Cayugad's homework assignment....

The Renegade is my PRB gun and I really thought shooting PRB's would be a great change of pace.

Speer Balls - if you do not have Speer Balls - you really need to get some - thay are so round and clean - they are accurate as heck.

Cayugad's homework was shooting off-hand at a 25 yard range. I set birds at 25 yards and 50 yards just for the heck of it. another thing he mentioned was shooting 3x5 cards. This is the computer age I could not find any 3x5 cards - so I improvised and used 'Sticky Note" sheet with a Orange dot stuck on it.

Here is a picture of this morning's activity...

I should have quit at three shots - but I wanted to give Semi's five shot rule another chance. But Semi, I havea question why a 5 shot group - nobody shoots a 5 shot group at an animal with a ML... any way here is the target...

It was a fun morning and Terry has the pickup - think she might fill it up after she is done with it????
Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Test!
I personally like a good Solid Rest. I have surprised myself a few times when I had to make quick shots when I had nothing to rest on. But 99% of the time I want a rest, just to be dead solid steady and know when I pull the trigger it's going where I aimed, we owe that much to the Animals we all Hunt.
Not saying that there's not a lot of great off hand shooters out there, I know there is. From say 0-75yds off hand is fine for me, but anything further I want a Solid Rest.
(BP)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

That's pretty good shooting there Sabotloader. The whole point of this was.. shooting off hand is not as easy as it might sound. When I shoot off a bench over and over, that is basically what I practice. Then shooting sticks is another thing I practice with. BUT I seldom shoot off hand. When I do, it lets me know that I have work to do.

That 50 yard must have been a hoot!!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

The PROBLEM - when you are doing something like this that you know somebody might see... you really want to be good... the PROBLEM the more gooder you want to be the longer you try to stay on target and get the best sight picture and with longer brings on wobble - OFF_HAND and open sights is tough... Shooting PRB's also throws another deminsion into the equation.

Soooo - I went back to my old rule - drop on the target - raise the muzzle above the target and come back down on the target when it is 6:00 squeeze... This is not anything like using a bench - a rest, sticks, your knee, or anything else that stabilizes the muzzle of the rifle. It is all on you....

The 50's were not a piece of cake at all... I feel real good getting the 2 birds in 4 shots.... also know that any of the four shots would have dropped the animal - I did not miss by much.

A real fun activity Dave....
Old 10-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always work on sight in day at our club. And we get alot of guys come in and shoot their rifles to check their zero. That is the only day we are open to non-members.

I also make alot of money on those days.

Guys stand around and brag about how good of a shot they are. So after they beat their chests a little I bet them a buck they can not hit a piece of note book paper off handed at 100 yards. At the end of the day I have a pocket full of $1 bills.

Very few guys can hit a sheet of note book paper off hand at 100 yards. Try it some time if you are short on cash. Just make sure it is not a good friend that you are making a fool of. Tom.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

HEAD0001

Ah Shoot!!! Another thing i gotta try - maybe next Saturday...

I really do like shooting off-hand now and then - Guess trap shooting might help that a bit.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I am going to try that raise above and then lower the rights down.. hit the six o'clock, and fire.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

am going to try that raise above and then lower the rights down.. hit the six o'clock, and fire.
Once you learn it and the breathing that goes along with it - it works very well... Sargent Hartshorn taught me that way back in high school when I was in ROTC and shooting on the rifle team... another thing keep your left elbow directly under the gun, and your left hand back where you would put the fron rest off a bench...
Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK I am humbled.
I wanted a peep sight on my Bison so I had an extra Knight sight and drilled and countersunk an extra hole so it would fit on the reciever of my Bison. I lined it up with the existing open sight so I would be close. After six shots from the picnic table adjusting the sight twice I decided I would try the challenge. I taped a 3 1/4 by 31/4 piece of paper on the center of the cardboard box. I am not near as steady as I use to be with my old Daisy.

It was a measured 38 yards from the target. It was my fourth shot that went way right. I found myself trying to pull the trigger halfway between the zigs and zags of my hold. I was using 80 grains of 3f 777 and a cornmeal buffer under a 535 grain No Excuses conical. I compressed the powder/cornmeal and then loaded the conical. I'm not sure if the muzzle heavy bull barrel of that bison helps or hinders offhand shooting, it might help. These are only the 18th thru 22nd shots I have fired out of this gun.
I have never had a fancy gunrest like many of you. I usually just shoot off my picnic table with a rolled up old blanket for a rest but obviously any kind of rest makes a big difference. Afterwards I took a few more shots using the picnic table rest and it sure seemed easier.
Art

Last edited by flounder33; 10-03-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.