Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Birds @ the Farm

Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting Birds @ the Farm

Well, I had a few minutes this morning that I could call my own, so I grabbed old #71 and headed to the farm.

I had all the intentions in the world about shooting paper, in fact I even got the target board out and stapeled a target to the board. But, when i got in truck to get the range rod out - there were those orange birds - just asking for something to do.

Since this was probably going to be the last shoot before hunting season starts and this is the rifle I will use for deer season - thought a what the heck???? Grabbed a handful of birds and headed out into the pea field... lot less stubble. Another good thing for practice is this shoot is not across level ground it slopes up more like a reallistic hunting shot.

Got the birds out, just walked out and placed them - forgot to take the range finder, so they ended up at some random distances, 90 (thought I was at a 100) 93, 100, and 120 yards. When I got back to the truck I ranged them and found out the real truth.

Popped a couple of primers and ran a windex patch, then loaded the first shot... Why i shot the 93 yard bird first - I really do not know other than I knew that I had leaned it up against a large fungi growing out of the ground and I really wanted to see what happend to it when the Lehigh hit it...

Second shot surprised me a bit when just the center of the bird was shot out with out breaking the rest of the bird. Then when the third shot did the same thing - I started think about the old Kenny Rogers song about baseball and the kid trying to hit the ball... and the final lyric that was something like - "even I did not know how good a pitcher i was" I really thought I was good - then the final shot @ the 120 yard bird - IT DID THE SAME THING - although it did break the edge of the bird.

I was really ticked when I decided to take a picture of the setup and had forgotten the good camera at home. So I dug into my elk pack and found my little digital and was forced to use it... but I did get some pictures of the adventure...

Next the real challenge - I wanted to shoot the outside rings of the birds... just hated them standing there. That was far more difficult than shooting the birds - but I did get them broke down.

Here is a close up of the Fungi bird... I was a very large clump of fungi - the bullet cut it in half and spread the bird and fungi parts all around the shot site

Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

nice shooting. I would guess that a deer don't stand a chance against you. Especially if he had any blaze orange spots on him. Good luck hunting.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

It looks like those Lehigh 40/200s are just the ticket for Fungi-birds.

Good shooting Sabotloader, and good luck when the season starts.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Shoot Semi - I remember that movie - I member watching it - Dang! I am old....
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's one of my all time favorites - great acting and a terrific story line. As us old farts say 'they just don't make `em like that any more'.

If any of you young whippersnappers haven't seen The African Queen, do yourself a favor and do so.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice report. My question is what does the #71 stand for?
Also which disc would you prefer if the 45 and 52cal had the same bullet options?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

A bluebird day at the farm,some fine shootin' with the muzz,an all around good day!!! I just want to thank you Sabotloader for all the tips/advise that you have passed down to me and the rest of the people here on hunting net. I hope you and everyone here have a safe and enjoyable hunting season!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybez101099

I have multiple DISC Elite 45's - I keep track of them by the last two numbers in the serial number..... #71 is the older of the two Elites and it is a great shooter - but I am really thinking of selling it at some point. Really seems rediculas to have multiple 45's.

which disc would you prefer if the 45 and 52cal had the same bullet options?
If I could only have one gun for all the hunts that I might do in Idaho - then of those two i would opt for the 52.

For deer class animals and just plain fun shooting then i would go with the 45 + it is cheaper to shoot - which I do think about...
Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
jaybez101099
it is cheaper to shoot - which I do think about...
Now that was funny. You shoot 777 to save money over BH209, but you shoot all kinds of Cayugads Bronze beauties at clay and dirt.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

I can not help it - the Lehigh's shoot so dang good.

Sides everytime you handle one you get that feeling of confidence...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-30-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.