Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Omega may have rifling issue. Thoughts?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Omega may have rifling issue. Thoughts?

Okay, I'm getting all geared up for my first season hunting with a muzzleloader. I bought a T/C Omega during the summer but have not shot it yet as I have been slowly acquiring all the ML accessories I need. Now I have everything I need, down to the scope and rings, and I'm getting excited to shoot my muzzy for the first time sometime this week.

I just finished cleaning the barrel of the Omega (as I do with ALL new firearms before I shoot them), and, to my dismay, there seems to be a problem with one of the rifling grooves. I cannot tell what it is, but there is some kind of junk clinging to the edge of the groove, no matter how many times I run a patch. It is more noticeable towards the breech but you can still see bits and pieces toward the muzzle. I use Otis, so I can get my patches to be very tight if I wish, so it's not an issue of me needing to clean it better.

My theory is that the edge of that one groove has some small jagged edges along it, and that it is tearing off small pieces of patch as it moves down the bore. In case I am wrong about this, I currently have the barrel soaking in cleaner and will run another patch through it later tonight to see if it clears the issue.

How much do you think this could affect the gun's accuracy? Or is this much ado about nothing...something a couple of dozen rounds will sort out?

I'm all for calling T/C and having them take care of it, BUT the season starts Oct 30, and I want to get the thing sighted in this week so I can start practicing with it, and I have no idea how long it will take T/C to get it back to me, especially this time of year.

I have thought about shooting it to see how it does on one hand, but on the other, if there is a problem, I want to be able to say that it's 100% a T/C issue and not a me-screwing-the-gun-up issue.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

7.62NATO

With a new barrel your thoughts might be right on the button... I would suggest you get some JB's Non-Embedding Bore Paste and run that in your barrel to polish and clean the bore.

Shooting the gun wil also clean it out but i would really suggest the bore polish.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

A patch with some JB Bore paste will likely take care of it. Or, a few strokes with a patch lightly wrapped with some very fine steel wool and well oiled (my personal preference). It's also quite likely that a dozen or two shots will eliminate it.

If that doesn't cure the problem, return it to TC for a look after the season.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-27-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

yeah jb it.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some JB, but if not, I'll buy the finest steel wool I can find. Can't wait to shoot it! Will post back with range report and pics.

You all rock!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Get out there and see how it shoots. Shoot about 20 shots and that will probably take care of it.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might go conicals to smooth things up iffin sabots don't clear the issue... jb is also a good idea; worst case is having to send it back for a free repair, but I'd think she can be broke in after a good session.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's too bad that the Quality of some of the barrels is like this, but it's the way it is, No 2 ML's (the same brand) are exactly the same or shoot the same, that's just the way it is. So when you find a (SWEET) Shootin Gun/ML KEEP IT!
Some JB's ought to take care of it, but like other's said shoot it a bunch of times and it should smooth it out. If not and your Not Happy send it back and get another Barrel or have them rapair it, or ask for a New One.
Best of Luck to You.
(BP)
Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Fork Horn

Call TC. If they say shoot it, get the name/ext of the person you speaking to.

JB is great, do not run steel wool in your barrel, there is a reason cleaning brushes are made of phosphor bronze.

My guess is that it is some of the protectant that TC applies to the bore before shipping. With the rifle in a vise, a good scrubbing with a new brush will get you clean as a whistle.

The Otis system is handy, but, will not get you there.

YMMV
Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Urban_Redneck
My guess is that it is some of the protectant that TC applies to the bore before shipping. With the rifle in a vise, a good scrubbing with a new brush will get you clean as a whistle.

The Otis system is handy, but, will not get you there.

YMMV
Not sure why you think that is the issue. Why would the protectant be clinging to only ONE rifling groove, from breech to muzzle?

I can get my guns cleaner with Otis than with a ram rod any day. If anything, a cleaning rod is handier and faster to use than Otis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.