Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need advise with Accura please.....

Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by accura owner
Here is a pic of the bases.
One thing right off the bat that is bothering me is how close that ring is clamped down to the turret. I know some scope companies advise you not to put it that close. That could be one of the problems, along with the rings
Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=accura owner;3688155]

I have not read all the posts on here, I can already imagine some of the comments, but maybe you have already got the anwers that you need but as i read through what you have asked....

I own several black powder weapons and have always been able to dial in good groups. But the Accura I have is very inconsistant. I have a 50cal knight and a 45 cal CVA elkhorn. Both will hold a 1" group at 100 yards.

I was convinced that perhaps the scope was part of the problem so i went out and got a BDC scope. Same problem with consistance, so I hunted with one of the other weapons. Now i am back to giving it one last try before replacing the gun forever.
I always wonder about the scope and the mounts when I read of this type problem, especially with the experiance shooting ML's that you have listed. I probably would have asked have you shot it with open sights @ 50 yards and how did it perform then.... in fact I will ask and suggest that you do that.

I have tried pyrodex and tripple seven powders, i have always shot ballistic tip sabots with great sucess. so i am using the same as i shot (and my son still shoots) in the Knight. I have tried 100 & 150 grains of powder and from 200 to 250 grain bullets. Some are slightly better than others but overall the gun can be 8-10 inches off with no consistant pattern. I have also been using a lead slead or vise on the gun.
Assuming that you are using loose powder, this indicates to me that you really do have a problem, especially if you were not able to get T7 to shoot well for you from 90 grains to 110 grains. I also think the problem will be a mechanical problem. You probably have eliminated the scope as the problem since you replaced it. With that I also assume you have checked the bases. So now I think you might be to a mechanical problem with the rifle.

Things that i would check... the crown - look very carefuly at the crown is it consistent all the way around bore?

Next the bore itself... how does it feel when loading, you really can not go by looks because a bore can look great and yet have problems. When loading a tight sabot do you feel any inconsistentcies when you push the sabot/bullet down? Even if it is smooth and consistent you still can not rule out the bore. If in doubt i would suggest you get some JB's bore paste and run at least 100 strokes with the paste and a very tight patch, no more than 20 strokes per patch. Is the barrel, when locked is it tight non moveable from the reciever?

There is one more thing that can play havoc with POI's. Barrel harmonics - the vibration that go through the barrel when the bullet is shot and leaves the bore. These vibration can be affected by the forearm, how tight - how loose - or even the pressure point where you place the front rest. I would suggest thatyou move the front rest as far back on the forearm as you can. With a break open rifle the up pressure you place on the forearm can really change the POI. The farther out the forearm rest is the greater the chance of changing effecting the POI of the bullet.

Believe me when i say that i am not new to shooting or dialing in guns but this one really has challanged my knoledge. All of my weapons are dialed into a 1" grouping @100yrd or it will not say at my house.
Which even further indicates to me that there might be a mechanical problem. To help find and eliminate the problem I would further suggest you shoot the gun at just 50 yards while you elimate and try things. No use wasting the effort at a 100 when so many little thing can have such a great effect @ 100.

Has anyone else had this issue with the accura or am I just the unluck one? I am hopeing that someone has experience in this area and can help with an accurate load configuration.

Thanks
I do not have an Accura, have not even handled one, but i have had the same problems that you have indicated, usually I am able to work through it, by eliminating small problem or combinations of problems, and at least most often find the problem - unfortunately I can not always solve the problem - as it is truly a gun problem at that point it need to go back or get sold.

Again I hope some where in this thread you have come up with some thoughts...

With this many replies already I am sure that FG/MD54 has ignited the old feuds that occur here. Even though it is an Accura, and it could be a TC, Knight or any other manufacturer, not all guns that come out of a mass production plant come out perfect. You could have a gun problem.

Good luck...
Old 09-24-2010, 05:00 AM
Spike

Thanks guys, I have tried to give everyone the short story of the things i have tried on here. At this point I really suspect barrel harmonics. Although it is probably the wrong thing to do, I am thinking I will buy one last scope, even though i know that is not the problem. On the first scope I removed, i put it on a Remmington 30-06 and it dialed in fine with no problems what so ever. But that will give me another oppertunity to reivew the scope mounts closer also.

To sabot loaders point, my last trip to the range i did shoot at 50 yards and I had the consistance of a pie plate. Bear in mind it was getting late in the day so i did not try diffrent load configurations.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

accura owner

To sabot loaders point, my last trip to the range i did shoot at 50 yards and I had the consistance of a pie plate. Bear in mind it was getting late in the day so i did not try diffrent load configurations.
I am glad you did work down to 50 yards, and I really hope the problem is in the sope or mounts... but at 50 with a pie plate pattern you have problems - no matter what load configuration you are shooting. In fact if the rifle is right it should not matter what you shoot - In my guns this load configuration is out the door - they shoot what I want to shoot + or - or they are out the door.

Do you still have the open sites for it? I still suggest shooting 50 with them and a 90-100 grain load with any bullet and see what you get...

Hope you get it... but if you have not purchased a new scope yet I urge you to try the open sites first.

mike
Old 09-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant say one way or the other about the Barrel Harmonics, it may or may not be. But I have 3 ACCURA's and the Best Shooting Bullet out of them is the 240gr XTP Mag, I either use 2 50gr Pyro Pellets or 110gr's of Pyro RS with them and either T7 Primers or Win W209's. I get 1" and less groups at 100yds and 1-2" groups at 200, depending on the day and me. I've tried other bullet Sabot Combinations and none come close to the 240gr XTP Mag's.
I really dont see it being the Scope, you've tried enough of them. If you dont try the XTP's then send it back to CVA and have em check it out.
As for Scopes with Mine I have a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope., a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn ML Scope and a CHEAP Bushnell and no difference between the three in Groups, just in Price.
Also I have owned many CVA's and shoot them only, and have for a long time, and all have shot the XTP's Flawlessly.
Best of Success to you.