Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Case of the Misbehaving Omega

Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default The Case of the Misbehaving Omega

I took my sweet little Omega X7 to the hunting lease this weekend.

It was the only gun I took because I knew I would only be able to get in a short range session Sunday morning, and I haven't shot it since last June.

My main objective was to check the scope setting before hunting season. It was sighted in for 250 grain Gold Dots over 95 grains of GOEX FFFg, so that's what I wanted to shoot. Also, I've acquired a new chronograph and was looking forward to getting some velocity readings for that load.

After setting a target out at 50 yards, I took three shots and couldn't believe my eyes. The group was about four inches. Somethings wrong!

So I checked the scope mounts - they looked fine. Then checked the action screws - nice and snug. I began wondering if the 4X ProDiamond had given up the ghost.

Deciding to try again, I put a new target out at 50 yards and took three more shots. Here's the target.

Man! That's HORRIBLE. What's going on here? Checked the scope mounts again. They are good and solid. Checked the action screws again - also tight.

Then, as I was checking the action screws I noticed I could move the barrel very slightly from side to side in the stock, even with the screws very tight. AH HA! I scampered back to the camp and grabbed a role of one-inch wide painters tape, and put a strip under the barrel just in front of the recoil lug. Put the barrel back in the stock and could still move it. So I added another layer and tried again. I ended up with six layers.

Here are the action screws.

And the taped barrel.

I crossed my fingers, put a fresh target out at 50 yards, and started shooting.

Here's what I got.

It looks like the Omega is in for a bedding* job. (*Corrected from "betting" just to make Sabotloader happy.)

Last edited by Semisane; 02-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

It looks like the Omega is in for a betting job.
You might want to get the 'borecleaningweasal' involved in this project and maybe Dr. Watson to help with the english in the sentence above..

I am betting he will change one of the words...

I noticed I could move the barrel very slightly from side to side in the stock,
Probably just fine if you can move the barrel side to side in the stock... as long as it is not touching in one side or the other.

Your tape job serves to float the barrel... Seriously, though did the rifle come with a floating barrel or was it tight in the barrel channel of the stock...

The stock has probably dried and shrunk a bit from the time it was new... might want to consider a good wood sealer finish on the stock to protect it from the different humidities that you live with there in that there country....
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would look at the bed for the recoil lug any trash there can cause the problem you are describing.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

maybe Dr. Watson to help with the english in the sentence above..
Ain`t nuttin rong wit me English, Sabotloader. It's my fingers that won't behave.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would look at the bed for the recoil lug any trash there can cause the problem you are describing.
You nailed it Lee, that's where the problem is. The mortise for the recoil lug is way too large. Lots of play in there.

Probably just fine if you can move the barrel side to side in the stock... as long as it is not touching in one side or the other.
Sabotloader, the barrel was "almost" snug in the channel from the recoil lug rearward, and freefloated forward of the lug. What was happening is there's enough play in the recoil lug mortise that the barrel could shift with each shot and rest against one side or the other.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Sounds like you better git the betting paste out and put it in a bedder place....
Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you better git the betting paste out and put it in a bedder place....
You bed I will Sabotloader, er - bid I wi...., er - BET I will.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned

yep, bed it. Its a fun thing to do so take your time and make it look pretty.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I have done the same thing. But I use duct tape. Less layers.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please document the job with lots of pics so I can copy you. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.