Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help. remington core-lokt 275gr jhp??

Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help. remington core-lokt 275gr jhp??

Greetings gentlemen

I've got a .50 cal omega and there is a special ML season here next week. I want to take a fat doe and turn here into deer bologna (summer sausage). Normally I shoot regular 250gr shockwaves, but have had problems at times with blood trails (I know, I'm not alone) although the deer were always dead on their feet.
However this time I'm going hunting in a fairly populated residential area and don't want to take any chances on a slow recovery (given a good shot). I found an old box of 20 of these rem core locts jacketed hollow points and am thinking of shooting a couple at the range and then using them (if everything works out). Has anybody here had any experience with them??? although the box of them I found is old, they seem in perfect shape. I'd buy something else, but around here I don't have many options except mail-order and I need to shoot this weekend, so that's not really an option.

thanks
hb
Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

hillbillyhunter1,
Can't say how the bullet will shoot, but of you want to drop'em, try a break down shot. Might be a good option if you gun is already sighted in for your current load and is accurate. On a broadside shot or slightly quartering towards, find the ball and socket joint of the shoulder, then go ~ 3-4" up. Should break both shoulders, take out the lungs, major arteries and make for a short tracking job. Many guides recommend this shot to anchor deer on the spot.
My concern in switching bullets is if they do not shoot well in your gun. Then you may have adjusted your scope and have to try and reset for your old load on an already truncated timetable. If your current load shoots well and is accurate, I would not bring in any other variables into the equation. Look into the breakdown shot and good luck.

Last edited by Kathwacckkk; 09-17-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

i'd go with a barnes style of bullet, they anchor deer in their tracks.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the reply guys. I'm gonna get some range time in today and will let you know. Kat, I'll shoot my regular loads for a while and then may switch. If I don't get a group (perhaps with a different POI) with these other bullets, I won't even think of adjusting. I like the break-down shot but with this deer getting made into bologna, I wanted to save as much meat as possible...it is still a consideration though. I'll let you fellas know how today and next weeks hunt go.

thansk again