Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Primer Strength

Old 09-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

ADVWannabee

I did this last weekend and the Winchester 777 primers didn't even budget the bullet. I had to pull the breach plug and push the bullet through. I had been using regular shotgun primers but read that they may move the bullet before the powder fully ignited so I switched to the less powerful primers. Sounds like people's experience in this thread doesn't really bare that out.
I really believe in some instances this can happen... and it will effect accuracy. I think the times you a most likely to see this type of thing is when the powder has become degraded and does not ignite as well as it should.

In my case I believe I have a good enough handle on the condition of the powder I know that everything is OK and using a 209 primer works for me.

Cecil @ PR Bullets did a big study on this problem and found that using the hooter primers could be a problem, so far I have not seen the problem and I do not want to....