Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Theory on buying a used muzzleloader.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 AM
mountaineer magic

Default Theory on buying a used muzzleloader.

I have a theory on buying a used muzzleloader. I will share that theory and how it came to be. The theory is that the best and safest place to buy a used muzzleloader is right here on the forum. Let me explain. I once went to purchase a used muzzleloader. Luckily it was in town and I could look at it. When I examined it I was apalled at the condition. It looked like it had been left uncleaned for years. Needless to say I never thought I would purchase a used muzzleloader because it seemed to be to much of a gamble. Kinda like buying a pig in a poke. Some of you know what I mean. Well after being on the forum for a year or so and getting to know some of the guys on here one of the members had a gun for sale. I was really interested but hesitant . I felt based on the persons posts and his having been a member for so long that maybe I would take a chance. I did and I was not disappointed. The gun was in excellent condition. That led me to purchase another gun from a different forum member. Once again the gun was as promised. Well it has been a year now and I just purchased my 11th used muzzleloader from forum members. Not once have I been disappointed. They have all been in excellent condition. One member even sent me a couple of guns and said if I like them to send a check.You gotta be "semi-sane" to do that. Anyway that led me to conclude that the safest and best place to buy a used muzzleloader is right here on this forum from guys that have been around for a while. Thanks for all the great guns.Thanks Bronko,semi,sabotloader,spitpatch,stevebny,and flounder33.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I have purchased a lot of used muzzleloaders as well. Many of them from gun auction sites. I found what one believes is in good condition and what I believe is in good condition is two different things. I have been lucky and only got stung once.

But you have a point. On forums such as these we develop a friendship of sorts with absolute strangers. We also get to learn a little about them from their posts. So it is safer to purchase from someone you "know."
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

it all depends on who it is and how they take care of it. My muzzy sit in a pawn shop for 6 months no rust, no corrousion nothing. This is because I clean my stuff the day I fire it and if it ant going out in a day or two lube the hell out of it then clean before shooting. When I pulled my muzzy out I was worried it would have rust on the outside just from being cased in a soft case for so long on a shelf. Nope nothing alittle dried oil here in and there but nothing to worry about. She looks as good as she did when I bought her.

I looked at a few old guns a few weeks ago. One a 1920s something bolt action 12ga. It was recalled for the bolt blowing out the back and hurting people. A 16 ga single shot that was uncleaned and rough and finally a cva muzzy about 4 years old that was uncleaned. I asked the boy when he shot it and he told me his buddy owned it and had not shot it since the 2007 season. WHAT THE ****. I told him I was not interested and I thin my triumph my toss it out the safe and throw the window.

A friend bought them and said for next to nothing what can I loose. Well your life, emmm your hand, umm a huge deer cause the cva shoots like a musket from the 1800s
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

I think you just have to be smart when buying ANY used gun. Do your research and really look for the small stuff. The small stuff will tell you alot. I've only bought two used guns so far. One was a Marlin model 120 12 gauge shotgun, which was a sweet buy. It was only dirty and with alittle bit of hard cleaning it now looks new. The other was to .54 Renegade I just picked up and the jury is still out on that one. Havn't shot it yet.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

i got a gun for free 3 weeks ago from someone that said it was junk and to cheap. Darn gun is almost as accurate as my Accura! And the rifle is 10 years old to boot.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Chet - your welcome. Hope you are doing well. Haven't seen or heard from you in a while. Take care, keep your powder dry and shoot straight
Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Spike

Default Thanks!

Mountaineer Magic,

Thanks for your theory! I googled "how to buy a used muzzleloader" and stumbled onto this forum.

I hunt in Maryland, which has a great early muzzleloader (season in two weeks), and the regular shotgun season isn't until the rut is just about over, at the end of November.

Which brings me to my question... Does anyone have an inexpensive/reliable muzzleloader and scope that they would like to sell? I'm partial to a wooden stock, but not going to be picky!

Any advice about models is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I pretty much have the same mindset. I would not hesitate to buy a used ML from any of the regulars in here. They, like me, take care and "pride in ownership" of their weapons. They know how to properly clean them and protect them from corrosion.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Hello Rob 2610 welcome to the forum there is plenty of good info to be shared here and if you are looking for a rifle check the classifieds http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-58/
as far as far as rifle choices thats up to you modern inline or bolt or go traditional flints and sidelocks . Do some reading on here to get an idea of all the types being used enjoy.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mine wasn't in excellent condition it was NIB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.